+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I love Red beans and rice. When I was a kid, Red beans and rice or fresh boiled Gulf shrimp was our Saturday evening meal. My mom cooked hot smoked sausage in hers and served it with Cole slaw and cornbread.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 09-25-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    cablejockey likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Beans and rice used to be known as laundry day supper. Monday was typically laundry day and laundry was boiled in a big kettle or scrubbed with a washboard in a washtub. Because it was so labor intensive, dinner and supper needed to be easy. A pot of beans could cook all day in the fireplace or later the woodstove and rice added later. Different regions used different beans. The most famous are red beans and rice. Monday was wash day as the day before usually involved a huge Sunday meal, so the ham bone or other meat bones could be used to cook and flavor the beans.
    I grew up eating red beans and rice (Cajun style). We always had it on a Saturday. I still make my family's version of it a couple of times every winter, but I don't think of it as an easy dish. It takes a while (1-1/2 hrs or so) just to get the beans to the right consistency. Then you mash them along the sides of the pot, and keep cooking until they are creamy in consistency. Served over fluffy rice, it's yummy comfort food to feed a crowd and nourishing, to boot.

I don't use kidney beans, but dried Small Reds. They are the traditional bean (in Louisiana) for the dish and are firmer and smaller than kidney beans.

MRD

Easy is a relative term. . When you consider that the time period I'm talking about had no electricity, refrigeration or anything in the way of kitchen conveniences, a pot of beans was easier than the other meals to prepare.

we tend to eat dried Lima's or black eyed peas and rice. Good ole hoppin John.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always thought that black eye peas tasted moldy/musty. Maybe I just haven't had them prepared properly.
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The recipe I used SWORE it was authentic to Louisiana! And it called for kidney beans. quote:"Authentic Cajun flavor! I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice, these are just like I remember. Serve with Tabasco sauce for a little kick. My family loved to splash a little cider vinegar in each bowl."

I will post the recipe in the recipe thread. And Shay-that has been my memory of black eye peas from childhood. Is it an acquired taste blackeye pea lovers?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I can't say black eyed peas were an acquired taste for me because I liked them right off the bat when I was just a kid. I first had them at preschool. They had a rule that you had to finish everything on your plate or you wouldn't get dessert. My sister was a fussy eater (still is) so I would help her out by eating the things she didn't like. One day they had black eyed peas and I hadn't tried them before but I did then and was happy to get my sister's, too!

If you don't like black-eyed peas right off, you could try them cooked with ham or jalapeno to give them more flavor but really life is too short to eat foods you don't like. It's no shame if black-eyed peas aren't your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've always thought that black eye peas tasted moldy/musty. Maybe I just haven't had them prepared properly.
    I've always thought that they taste like feet smell.
    Then I was told they had to be made with stuff like ham, bacon -- stuff loaded with fat and salt. For me, that defeats the purpose of having legumes for healthy eating.

I'm partial to red lentils.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I season black-eyed peas with salt, fresh ground pepper, and a piece of Canadian bacon, which isn't as fatty as bacon but gives the peas a slight smokey flavor - my family loves them!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I season black-eyed peas with salt, fresh ground pepper, and a piece of Canadian bacon, which isn't as fatty as bacon but gives the peas a slight smokey flavor - my family loves them!
    I usually throw one piece of bacon in them to give them a little flavor. I love black eyed peas and the thing to them is don't overcook them til they are mushy. I personally don't like ham or any other meat in my beans. A bowl of peas or beans and a piece of cornbread is good eating without anything thing added.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Yum, I love all field peas - probably as much for their taste as for the "comfort food" of being from my childhood. An alternative to black-eyed peas, if the taste seems a bit strong or unpleasant, could be pink-eyed ones... they're my favorite, and have a milder flavor I think.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread