+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

They usually just die. Poor Sonny Boy used to have to go to his friends homes to get contraband since Mom (me) would not usually stock it. I would, every once in a while but, usually not. There were houses that had actual snack drawers that he was welcome to go into at any time.....just not at my house!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We never had snacks or soda. My mom was a home ec major in college and we had home-cooked meals and homemade desserts every single day. If we wanted a drink. we got a glass of water at the sink. I never bought soda for my kids, either.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My mom always had a gallon pitcher of fresh orange juice in the fridge, along with another of chlled tap water. In the summertime there was also sweet tea and lemonade.

We had a walk-in (there were 13 of us, including our parents). Our mom also used to mix Welch's grape juice with sparkling water and orange juice as a summer cooler. She also made every slice of bread we ever ate, and every cookie. Tuesdays were her baking days. By Thursday, the sweets were gone.

My husband makes us sweet tea every day and we buy our water in bottles. That Dasanti water is not spring water, but water from a tap, Shay. We buy it, too, because it's usually the most economical choice. I think it's owned by either Pepsi or Coke, I forget which! It's a better choice, tastewise, than our municipal water and I like it a lot.

I have never thought that Dasani was spring water. I just like the taste of it, like I love the taste of my tap water. If I buy a bottle of Dasani (which is made by Coca Cola, by the way) it's because I am out and I am thirsty or I need a bottle for my freezer, in which I store my tap water. I don't buy into that "spring water" crap. I get what's good to me. I am no sucker for advertising! I keep 4-5 bottlesof tap in my freezer, at any given moment!

AND NOBODY HAD BETTER TOUCH IT! (Just ask my son!).
    It's right up there with my World's Finest Chocolate...which I WILL hurt you about.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I drink water all day. As far as bottled water goes the only one I don't care for is Sam's Choice from walmart. Great Value from walmart is good and it is the cheapest. I normally just get me a glass of ice and go to the tap and get my water at home.
    Ellen likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I used to drink water all day. Now I drink iced tea all the time...also put fresh mint in it. That is lovely

I made red beans and rice for the first time the other day. We are officially HUGE fans of this dish now. Kidney beans have never been a favorite of mine but in this dish they were really good. It was simple to make, cheap! and of course beans are great for you. Anyone else make red beans and rice?
    Last edited by livin4reality; 09-24-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I don't like buying bottled water because of the waste. I have a PUR water filter on my kitchen faucet and it's just as good (if not better) than any bottled water. I have a reusable bottle that I carry everywhere. It's much cheaper than bottled too I think the filters cost about $20 or less and they last about a year. The water bottle is maybe $8 and I replace it once a year too.

I only drink water or iced tea now. I used to like Sprite/Sierra Mist, but I haven't had one in about 3 1/2 months and I don't really miss it. Too much sugar. I feel so much better now! Plus, I don't feel bad about adding a little sugar to my tea, since I pretty much don't have any sweets in the house now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I try not to drink water much during the day because then I'd have to hit the bathroom and leave my classes unattended. When I get home, I'm always thirsty so I keep a big jug of iced green tea (unsweetened) in the fridge. I drink it like water. I just put 3 bags in cold water and put the pitcher in fridge. You don't have to boil it. I try not to drink it after that first initial slaking of my thirst because it does have caffeine.
    Count your blessings!

I have always loved iced tea and, with fresh mint, it is just to die for! I don't drink it much anymore because I have to have an early cut-off time because it works like an amphetamine on me. I have to stop around 2 p.m. or slightly earlier...and what fun is that? NONE, I'm telling you....none at all!!!

I've only recently discovered Snapple, and it is really good, but it's not my wonderful water! And it costs an arm and a leg. It does make for a really good treat, though.

I adore red beans and rice!!! My family is rooted in New Orleans, and it was just one of those things that I grew up on. I've actually never made it, but when I go to Popeye's Fried Chicken, it is always the side that I order, and it is to die for! And, by the way, Popeye's is much better than old, tired KFC. I don't get it often but, when I do, once again, it's a real treat! The staff at Popeye's pointed me in the direction of the red beans and rice when I didn't know what side to order. I had promised them that if it was not good that I would be back to beat somebody up later on. No Need For Beating Anyone Up! They did not steer me wrong! Now, I'll go there and just get the red beans and rice! I would be interested in seeing a recipe in the recipe thread, I guess. Popeye's is not exactly close to where I live!

MRD

Beans and rice used to be known as laundry day supper. Monday was typically laundry day and laundry was boiled in a big kettle or scrubbed with a washboard in a washtub. Because it was so labor intensive, dinner and supper needed to be easy. A pot of beans could cook all day in the fireplace or later the woodstove and rice added later. Different regions used different beans. The most famous are red beans and rice. Monday was wash day as the day before usually involved a huge Sunday meal, so the ham bone or other meat bones could be used to cook and flavor the beans.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread