+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I have been happy with the quality and price of the EVO at Trader Joe's.

Gut, the only coconut water I've tried and liked is a chocolate flavored one that I got at Trader Joe's. It's Zico brand. My TJ's has a little contest at the register where if you spend over $40 and your total is an even dollar amount, you get to pick something from this bunch of covered cubbyholes. I ended up with the chocolate coconut water. It's 110 calories for the whole bottle (14 fl oz) and 2g of fat, so it's better than chocolate milk, although not great every day if you're watching your weight like we are!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rachel Rays OO here has been super cheap so I've been buying that. I can't afford to spend much on OO. I will try the cannellini beans. ty for the idea!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Dang, this is the recipe that keeps on giving! Maple-Roasted Chicken With Sweet Potatoes | Real Simple Recipes

I fixed this tonight on the stove instead of the oven and it was still terrific! I sliced up the sweet potatoes and onions and browned them in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, thyme and a swirl of light maple syrup (I used the light Mrs. Butterworth's, so it's not even really maple syrup, but it adds the right flavor). After the onions and sweet potatoes were partially cooked, I added chopped chicken breast and then simmered it for a while. This is SO much easier (and cooler!) than doing it in the oven. I always feel like I need to eat more sweet potatoes and this is a really great way to do it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Mmm, that sounds good. I love sweet potatoes! Definitely need to try that recipe.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Sad to say I'm not enjoying any of the coconut water varieties. I think I'll use them up in fruit blendered smoothies.
    So glad it wasn't just my taste. I tried all the flavors and couldn't find one that I could drink by itself. The blendered smoothies is a good idea.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, you guys may have scared me off trying the coconut water......just by description, alone. Lumpy water?? No thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Who said coconut water was lumpy? I missed that post. I thought it was all liquid. I haven't bought any commercially available coconut water or varities with stuff added. I've only had the water straight from the coconut, and even that's been a long time since I had it.

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

It's not lumpy Although, it might be better to me if it did have coconut chunks in it.
    I was so excited to find and try it and then so disappointed in the taste.
    To me, it tasted just like the description...juice from a young green coconut. Even the added pineapple juice didn't make it any better.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have no idea where I got the idea that it was lumpy, but I definitely did! If I've got to deal with coconut chunks, it needs to be in either coconut cream pie or coconut cake...and that's where I slam on the brakes!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread