+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

I will probably never have it again, or at least for a long time. Cheese and bread are my biggest weaknesses and I'm trying to lose weight. I was really glad that there were so many people at the party where they served it. I would only get one slice and it was all gone!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'll have to look for that... in the sports drink section? The one I was drinking was a Goya product which are all grouped together at our store.
    It is called O.N.E. Coconut water. I found it in the bottle water section and it is in a container like a juice box.
    If you try it let me know what you think.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 09-12-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Coconut water just does not sound like something that I would like....I think there's something about the milky appearance of the liquid that comes out of a fresh coconut, but it seems to be pretty popular. I think I might try it, "just because"....so that I can speak from firsthand experience.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Over the week-end I bought a bottle of Kraft horseradish/dijon mayo at Aldi. They don't normally carry name brands so I take notice when they do and this one jumped out at me. I just had some on a turkey and provolone sandwich. Oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

I will probably never have it again, or at least for a long time. Cheese and bread are my biggest weaknesses and I'm trying to lose weight. I was really glad that there were so many people at the party where they served it. I would only get one slice and it was all gone!
    Next time I try it, I'm going to add a thin slice of Roma tomato, atop the bread and under the cheese/green onion/mayo mixture...well, on maybe half of them, just in case. Tomato, onion and cheese can't be that bad!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555 View Post
    Over the week-end I bought a bottle of Kraft horseradish/dijon mayo at Aldi. They don't normally carry name brands so I take notice when they do and this one jumped out at me. I just had some on a turkey and provolone sandwich. Oh my
    That sounds really good!!! Just today, I was remembering when they used to sell Bacon-Horseradish Dip; I've not seen any in years and I dearly loved that stuff!

I am adding the horseradish/dijon mayo to my shopping list in my phone, as I type! (We all keep shopping lists in our phones, don't we?! Sure beats the heck out of writing them down and forgetting them!)) I should be close to Aldi's in the next couple of days! I've never been into Aldi's so now I really have reason to go! Thanks, Bunny-Wun!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am adding the horseradish/dijon mayo to my shopping list in my phone, as I type! (We all keep shopping lists in our phones, don't we?! Sure beats the heck out of writing them down and forgetting them!)
    Actually, I use Evernote for our shopping lists :-) We have it installed on all of our computers (5), our tablet, and our mobile phones. And I have a dry erase board on the fridge for us to write down what we're missing. It's easier to add an item to the dry erase board when I'm cooking (or when either my son or husband uses something up), and then I can grab it to enter the list into Evernote.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Just to demystify what coconut water is, here is an article about the difference between coconut milk and coconut water:

When you hear the phrase "coconut milk," the image that might stick in your mind is the juice that is found inside the center of a coconut. At least, that is what most people assume that it is. Actually, the liquid endosperm inside a young coconut is known as coconut water. It is fat free and low in calories, but is a good source of potassium and other nutrients.

Coconut milk is made by pureeing a mixture of coconut meat and water, then straining it to remove some of the fat. A second straining will yield a lower fat coconut milk. Coconut cream is made in the same way as coconut milk, but it is made with a higher ratio of coconut to water. Sometimes, coconut cream will form on the top of canned coconut milk. The two are pretty much interchangeable in recipes, though they have slightly different consistencies. For the curious, some other drinks, such as almond milk, are made in the same way.

Cream of coconut is not the same as coconut cream. It is the creamy liquid often added to pina coladas (and various other drinks and dishes). Though it starts out as coconut cream, sugars and stabilizers are added to give it an especially creamy consistency and to make it more palate-pleasing in drinks and desserts.

Read more: Coconut milk vs. coconut cream vs. coconut water - Slashfood

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Actually, I use Evernote for our shopping lists :-) We have it installed on all of our computers (5), our tablet, and our mobile phones. And I have a dry erase board on the fridge for us to write down what we're missing. It's easier to add an item to the dry erase board when I'm cooking (or when either my son or husband uses something up), and then I can grab it to enter the list into Evernote.
    I just go from brain to phone, doing it whenever it occurs to me to add something to one of my lists (of which I keep 7 in my phone). My lists are kept on MemoPad. I used to keep my grocery list on a template that I made, but this is so much easier.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm old school. I do my shopping lists with pen and paper. Sometimes I'll put it on a sticky note or the back of a envelope instead of using a full sheet of paper.

+ Reply to Thread