+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I'm going to try that this evening - I actually have those ingredients on hand! Does it have a name?
    I like to call it "Evil."

I don't have any real allergies, but when I first had acid reflux, I had to be very careful about spicy foods and caffeine. Any caffeine, especially cola, would send me over the edge. It took about 18 months of being very diligent, but I "cured" myself, i.e. no prescription meds, just a different diet. Now I can have caffeine pretty regularly (although I don't have it every day) and I'm fine. I am more careful about what I eat, but I can pretty much have whatever I want, within reason.

I think that I just needed to detox from all the chemicals and junk in my body. It took a while, but it was worth it. My brother OTOH is still having problems and just cannot get it under control. He keeps "slipping" and having salsa (tomatoes give him big problems) or drinking a beer and he's sick again.

Because the cells in our bodies cycle every 7 years or so, sometimes allergies can come and go. A few months before I turned 28, I started developing a metal allergy. I couldn't wear any earrings that weren't 14K, where I used to be able to pretty much put a stick through my earlobe. About 7 years later, the allergy lessened and now it's almost gone. Now, I can't wear Sterling or copper too many days in a row - my ears get a bit sore and swollen - but I'm generally fine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I'd suggest before cutting out all of those yummy tomato ingredients that you might want to look for chemicals in what you consume and try removing them. Worked like a charm for me, and I know others who have had life-changing (for the better) experiences by just detoxing their systems and starting over. Good luck!
    This, Shay! Read the labels and don't eat anything you can't pronounce. Watch out for things like starches and gluten in prepared foods, hdrolyzed protein solids, and hidden sodium. Make everything you can from scratch, using fresh ingredients and spices. We've been doing this for a couple of years, and it has made a huge difference in the way I feel after eating.

I feel for you!

Thanks everyone! I knew I wasn't the only person to deal with this, but it really helps to hear some tips from other people who have been through it!!

I cook from scratch a lot, so that is a positive. The tricky times will be evenings when the kids have activities and we have to eat something very quick to make or prepared ahead of time. I just need to stay diligent about what I am eating on those evenings!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    ...Have any of you had food allergies suddenly develop like this?
    After having mono at age 36, I developed a bunch of weird allergies -- food and others. My doctor said that I was already genetically predisposed to them, but the mono virus "woke them up." Strong, strong reactions, too -- including asthma to stuff like pet dander (even the so-called "hypoallergenic" dogs and cats, which is a myth).

The foods I became allergic to include fish (but not shrimp) and macadamia nuts. Makes going to a Hawaiian restaurant a real adventure!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Do any of you use Coconut water? I'm looking for suggestions. I can't drink it by itself...shudder...

Between my kidney disease (low sodium, low protein, high fiber, high carbs), my diveriticulosis (no milk or seeds, although cheese is OK), my spice-sensitive palette, and various dietary reactions because of the drugs, I've found that I can live on breakfast ;-) But given that eating eggs and pancakes, etc., three times a day isn't really all that healthy, I've finally found my balance.

I have two scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and onions, and bacon for breakfast. (Why, yes, I cheat by eating bacon :-) Considering that I can still eat it, it doesn't make me sick, and I am so careful about everything else, I'm OK.) I typically skip lunch (I eat breakfast late). And dinner is whatever I feel like making. Yesterday, it was baked beans (Mary Beth Albright's recipe...man, it is so good! Except I only use 1/2 tsp of black pepper and I add 1/2 cup molasses). Today, it will be macaroni and cheese.

And I made this incredible...um...pot of something that was going to be chili, except I didn't have any green peppers or chili beans. So I used a can of drained and rinsed black beans instead...it was kind of like goulash soup. Not thick enough to be a stew, but it was really good. (My husband likes really spicy food, so I make stuff so that I can eat it, and then he adds pepper to his serving.) I'll be making it again :-)

inthegarden - Are you talking about the water you, yourself extract from a coconut or the sweetened drinks you can buy canned? I used to drink the drinks until I realized how much sugar was in them. I use canned coconut milk to cook quinoa in or in curries.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

It is the Coconut water that is used as a sports drink. It is all natural no added sugar or flavors. In addition to drinking water, I was looking for an alternative to sport drinks. Thanks for your suggestions.
    In 11.2 oz. of Coconut water it contains:
    calories 60
    fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0g
    sodium 60mg
    potassium 670mg
    carbs 15g
    fiber 0g
    sugars 14g
    protein 1g

I'll have to look for that... in the sports drink section? The one I was drinking was a Goya product which are all grouped together at our store.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I like to call it "Evil."....
    My family called it "Keeper" I have a family that almost always somebody doesn't like something - but I tried this, and they all said it was GREAT!

Not having any measurements to go from, I just chopped one whole green onion (almost to the bulb), finely shredded 1/4 to 1/3 cup (est.) of cheddar, mixed with maybe 2-3 TBLS of mayonnaise...was just going from guesswork...about half green/orange spread it on sliced french bread (maybe 1/2-inch thick) and broiled.

YUMMY! They all said it was "card worthy" (meaning, it's worth making a recipe card for my collection! - a takeoff from Elaine's "Sponge Worthy" schtick on Seinfeld)

Thanks for the recipe idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread