+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Have I seen people eating them like popcorn? I'm really curious!
    This is a new one on me, too, Shay:

Edamame Popcorn

1 bag edamame (soy bean pods) water
    sea salt or kosher salt
    Sprinkle of chili powder (optional)

Drop the edamame in salted boiling water and cook for
    about three minutes. Drain in a colander, immediately
    toss with salt (so it sticks) and serve.

Edamame Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Okay, I just had to share this with you guys. I'm helping a friend out with a project. A volunteer organization she's involved with is putting together a cookbook and I'm typing all the recipes into Word (they're all either handwritten or typed...on a typewriter. Holy cow). The membership is largely elderly women. I just came across a recipe for Orange Cake that is the usual cake recipe...until you get to the final line, which reads "May be doused with booze."

WOW!!
    I love orange cake and that recipe sounds mighty good to me!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

nrh - I'm happy to post it in the recipes thread if you're interested

I went to a party this weekend and tasted a recipe I've been hearing about for a few years. I plan on NEVER making this. Ever. Basically, it's shredded cheese and chopped green onions, mixed with mayonnaise and then spread on slices of French bread and broiled. I'm fairly certain it is in instrument of the devil. I had one piece and then, thank God, everyone else descended on the tray and it was all gone.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    nrh - I'm happy to post it in the recipes thread if you're interested

I went to a party this weekend and tasted a recipe I've been hearing about for a few years. I plan on NEVER making this. Ever. Basically, it's shredded cheese and chopped green onions, mixed with mayonnaise and then spread on slices of French bread and broiled. I'm fairly certain it is in instrument of the devil. I had one piece and then, thank God, everyone else descended on the tray and it was all gone.
    I'm going to try that this evening - I actually have those ingredients on hand! Does it have a name?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I am frustrated with food right now. I have always been very thankful that my face has been *mostly* blemish free, even when I was a teen. But over the last couple of years I started having problems - bumps along my chin, eczema patches on the sides of my nose and forehead, etc. I went to a dermatologist that wanted to put me on long-term low-dose antibiotics. I said "no thanks" and decided to manage it myself. So fast forward to just a few weeks ago. I started feeling really awful after eating this FANTASTIC fresh salsa that they sell at Trader Joe's. I mean sick enough that I had to go sleep it off for a couple of hours. After discussing with my husband I realized that I have developed an intolerance or allergy to tomatoes!! And when I stopped eating them - my skin started clearing up!!! I've never considered myself a huge tomato fan, but I also never stopped to think about all the stuff I love to eat that includes tomatoes: salsa, tomato based pasta sauces, pizza, chili, etc. I'm already plotting changes to my chili recipe to omit the tomato paste...

I never had allergies or food problems as a kid, but prior to this I also had to stop eating avocado and bananas. Apparently all of these foods have amines, which is a common factor but as of now there are other foods with amines that I am not having any issues with (knock on wood).

I'm just curious how common this is. Have any of you had food allergies suddenly develop like this?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I had a problem with corn spring up years ago and was devastated because I love so many corn products, especially popcorn and corn on the cob. It was both giving me problems with diverticulitis, causing horrible stomach cramps, and affecting my asthma, making me wheeze after eating it.

Fortunately for me, just as quickly as it started, it faded away. I had to pretty much stop eating corn for a few months but I couldn't stay away from popcorn entirely and after a bit, I was ok with corn again.

I never have figured out why I had such a bad reaction to it for those few months and what made it clear up.

You might try experimenting to see if it's raw tomatoes, cooked tomatoes, or any tomatoes that cause your outbreaks. Or it might not be the tomatoes causing it. It might be something in the salsa, like the cilantro.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I had a problem with corn spring up years ago and was devastated because I love so many corn products, especially popcorn and corn on the cob. It was both giving me problems with diverticulitis, causing horrible stomach cramps, and affecting my asthma, making me wheeze after eating it.

Fortunately for me, just as quickly as it started, it faded away. I had to pretty much stop eating corn for a few months but I couldn't stay away from popcorn entirely and after a bit, I was ok with corn again.

I never have figured out why I had such a bad reaction to it for those few months and what made it clear up.

You might try experimenting to see if it's raw tomatoes, cooked tomatoes, or any tomatoes that cause your outbreaks. Or it might not be the tomatoes causing it. It might be something in the salsa, like the cilantro.
    Hi pikachu -
    Your corn experience is interesting. I hope my tomato problem goes away as well!! My dad actually told me a few days ago that he had problems with tomatoes as a kid, but he grew out of it.

I have done some experimenting. I have gotten sick after eating both fresh and jarred (cooked) salsas. I tried just a few fresh diced tomatoes on tacos one night. It was tolerable because I had a small amount, but it definitely would have been bad if I had eaten more of them. Then last weekend I made my favorite chili. It includes tomato paste, but not a large amount so I thought it might be okay. I could not have been more wrong. I ate a bowl-full and it was bad. I later tried having a small cup of it accompanied by lots of water and it was tolerable. So it appears that I can deal with small amounts of either fresh or cooked, but I am definitely better off avoiding them completely. Maybe every few months I can try a small amount to see if my reaction improves.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have developed a sensitivity to spicy foods. I used to love, love, love spicy stuff but, anymore, if I eat spicy, it feels like I drank a glass of lye (not that I really know what that might be like). I hate that I have to tone it down, but I'm not willing to be uncomfortable. I have lifelong history of food allergies, so avoiding irritants is nothing new for me. Too much tomato stuff (and I LOVE chili, and am craving it now) will give me generalized itching all over my body....but not hives. And I miss some of my favorite fruits.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm also lactose intolerant. Sometimes I can drink regular milk if it's just a little bit or if I haven't had it for a long time. When it's flaring up really bad, I'll even get sick eating ice cream.

One time my parents and I went to a new 50's style diner that had just opened up. I was excited to get a creamy chocolate malt but after one sip, I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep it down so I reluctantly had to give it to my dad.

Food allergies are a strange thing. You can eat a certain food for years and then all of a sudden your body can't handle it anymore? How does that happen??

I feel for you being allergic to tomatoes. That's a hard thing to avoid since they're so prevalent in many foods. At least you figured out what was triggering your reaction so you can prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I never had allergies or food problems as a kid, but prior to this I also had to stop eating avocado and bananas. Apparently all of these foods have amines, which is a common factor but as of now there are other foods with amines that I am not having any issues with (knock on wood).

I'm just curious how common this is. Have any of you had food allergies suddenly develop like this?
    When I was 40, I began to break out in HUGE hives on my head, face, and torso. Once I had go to the ER because my eyes swelled shut. I lived on Benedryl, literally. Finally got allergy testing, and it went through the roof! The allergist said he was the worst case he'd ever seen, I reacted to 76 out of 94 food/environmental sticks! I was flabbergasted.

He explained to me that our immune systems are like a measuring cup - that little droplets don't have much of an impact...but eventually the cup fills up and overflows. That's how he explained my sudden onset of food allergies.

To make this long story short, I eventually read something about aspartame, googled it, and my jaw hit the keyboard. I saw many of my symptoms (not just the food allergies). I cut out aspartame completely, and in just a few months I was back to normal. That was 10 years ago, and I've not had another problem since.

I'd suggest before cutting out all of those yummy tomato ingredients that you might want to look for chemicals in what you consume and try removing them. Worked like a charm for me, and I know others who have had life-changing (for the better) experiences by just detoxing their systems and starting over. Good luck!
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread