+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

The "Red Kidney Bean Poisoning" sounds exactly like every case of food poisoning I've ever had....and I've had 2, too many. It's one of those things you just don't forget.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Gosh, after reading the post on bean poisoning, I'm glad I was taught to always boil, soak and rinse dried beans.
    It is easier for me to cook dried beans in a crock pot.
    I like to add rinsed cooked Pinto beans to Green beans. I also like to add cooked and rinsed Dark Red Kidney beans to a garden salad.
    This summer I've been preparing a corn salad with black beans and tomatoes. It has a dressing made with red wine vinegar and spices. It is good as a side dish, added to a garden salad or as a dip.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Fennel is one thing I've never worked with...need to experiment! I use fennel seed in my lasagna sauce, but that's as far as I've gotten. Any ideas/suggestions? When I saw "caramalized fennel" in Gutmutter's menu, I began to salivate!
    I love fennel! (Also called anise). I usually saute it with onions, but she cut it into small slices and cooked it slowly over a medium heat and a lid. They turned out soft and golden instead of greenish white and crunchy like mine. She used the feathery stems and leaves to make a bed to roast the chicken breasts on.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I love fennel! (Also called anise). I usually saute it with onions, but she cut it into small slices and cooked it slowly over a medium heat and a lid. They turned out soft and golden instead of greenish white and crunchy like mine. She used the feathery stems and leaves to make a bed to roast the chicken breasts on.
    Can I adopt her?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't think I've ever had fennel. Also never tried rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, durian, or dragonfruit. There's probably plenty more but that's off the top of my head.

A friend just gave me a big bag of little heirloom tomatoes. I ate a bunch with some fresh basil and mozzarella and a splash of balsamic. YUM! I could eat that every day, although I probably shouldn't eat cheese every day. Today, at least, it was totally worth the calories!
    pikachu likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm back with another dumb question(s) of the day. Is all edamame sold frozen, and what does one do with it? How do I handle it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

No such thing as a dumb question. Edamme is just a fancy name for soybeans. You can get them fresh in the shell, but I like to get them shelled and frozen. I put some of them into a container in the fridge and put them on salads, but you can use them in stir fries, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Have I seen people eating them like popcorn? I'm really curious!

Okay, I just had to share this with you guys. I'm helping a friend out with a project. A volunteer organization she's involved with is putting together a cookbook and I'm typing all the recipes into Word (they're all either handwritten or typed...on a typewriter. Holy cow). The membership is largely elderly women. I just came across a recipe for Orange Cake that is the usual cake recipe...until you get to the final line, which reads "May be doused with booze."
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread