+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

From Critical's link on cooking dried beans in the crockpot, it says this:

(NOTE: if you are using red or kidney beans, you need to boil your beans rapidly on the stove for at least 10 minutes to kill a possible toxin lurking in the beans. It's better to be safe than sorry!)

I've cooked dried kidney beans in my crockpot for years without boiling and with no problems. What's that all about? Have I been just been lucky? what toxins?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks so much for that link, pikachu, as I have often wondered about the different types of beans. Who knew there were so many varieties! I am going to bookmark that link!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here's a link to an article about kidney beans. According to it, if you don't boil your beans at some point, you can get nausea, severe vomiting and diarreah. Maybe your beans were cooked at high enough temperature long enough to remove the toxin.

Off the Contrary: Science Fact - The Dangers of Kidney Beans

I've never had this happen but then again I'm not fond of kidney beans. I only eat them when someone else puts them in chili, and even then a lot of times I try to eat around them.

You might has just been lucky. Apparently, it's unpleasant stuff:
    RED KIDNEY BEAN POISONING

Red Kidney Bean Poisoning is an illness caused by a toxic agent, Phytohaemagglutnin (Kidney Bean Lectin). This toxic agent is found in many species of beans, but it is in highest concentration in red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). The unit of toxin measure is the hemagglutinating unit (hau). Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 hau, while fully cooked beans contain from 200 to 400 hau. White kidney beans, another variety of Phaseolus vulgaris, contain about one-third the amount of toxin as the red variety; broad beans (Vicia faba) contain 5 to 10% the amount that red kidney beans contain.

As few as 4 or 5 beans can bring on symptoms. Onset of symptoms varies from between 1 to 3 hours. Onset is usually marked by extreme nausea, followed by vomiting, which may be very severe. Diarrhea develops somewhat later (from one to a few hours), and some persons report abdominal pain. Some persons have been hospitalized, but recovery is usually rapid (3 - 4 h after onset of symptoms) and spontaneous.

The syndrome is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans, either alone or in salads or casseroles. As few as four or five raw beans can trigger symptoms. Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80 degrees C. may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75 degrees C..

All persons, regardless of age or gender, appear to be equally susceptible; the severity is related only to the dose ingested.

No major outbreaks have occurred in the U.S. Outbreaks in the U.K. are far more common, and may be attributed to greater use of dried kidney beans in the U.K., or better physician awareness and reporting.

NOTE: The following procedure has been recommended by the PHLS (Public Health Laboratory Services, Colindale, U.K.) to render kidney, and other, beans safe for consumption:
    * Soak in water for at least 5 hours.
    * Pour away the water.
    * Boil briskly in fresh water for at least 10 minutes.
    * Undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans.
    Red Kidney Bean Poisoning - Food Reference
    I boil all dry red beans - not just kidney beans - before I use them, just to be safe. It's not worth being sick over.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My personal chef goes back to school today, but we had our neighbor over for a 5-star meal last night... a spinach salad that contained spiced caramel pecans with a delicious dressing, phyllo dough roll-ups with spinach, kale, and mushrooms inside, and marinated chicken breasts with carmelized fennel on top. It was incredible! I'll miss her, but I really need to go back on my Eat to Live diet now.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My personal chef goes back to school today, but we had our neighbor over for a 5-star meal last night... a spinach salad that contained spiced caramel pecans with a delicious dressing, phyllo dough roll-ups with spinach, kale, and mushrooms inside, and marinated chicken breasts with carmelized fennel on top. It was incredible! I'll miss her, but I really need to go back on my Eat to Live diet now.
    Oh my. That sounds just scrumptious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'd rather eat like that and die young than live to be 100 on rice cakes and rabbit food!
    MRD likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Thanks, EVERYONE, for the advice on the kidney beans. Wow Sure hadn't heard that before! When I start my beans in the crock pot, I usually do them on high for about an hour or so, then turn them back to low...maybe that's why I've dodged that bullet. Yikes!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

That sounds pretty darn healthy to me, Gut - and yummy!

Fennel is one thing I've never worked with...need to experiment! I use fennel seed in my lasagna sauce, but that's as far as I've gotten. Any ideas/suggestions? When I saw "caramalized fennel" in Gutmutter's menu, I began to salivate!

+ Reply to Thread