+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    ...I got black beans, red beans, pink beans, split peas, and lentils so I've got a good variety. I also made some cornbread to have on the side.
    Isn't it great to save money AND eat healthier? Honestly, that sounds like a typical meal we have around my house one or two nights a week. And you can get creative with the seasonings, too!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    And you can get creative with the seasonings, too!
    Very true! The first two days, I had the beans without added seasonings. Last night I added molasses, ketchup, and dijon mustard when I reheated a portion to make them like baked beans. I think tonight I'll finish this batch by adding some hot seasonings to make them spicy. I'll have to look through my condiments when I get home to decide what to add.

I've thought going on a Survivor diet while the show is on and only eating what the contestants are eating (rice, coconut, fish, whatever they get for reward that week, etc). I've never gone through with it, though. It's easy for them to eat only that when that's all they have available to them. I don't know if I could starve myself on rice when I have other food in the house and fast food restaurants a short drive away. It would be interesting to try, though!

So my personal chef made me fresh pasta yesterday with chicken, zucchini, and tomato (olive oil, parmesan). Other than that, she's been out with friends, so I haven't had to go off my diet much.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    As part of my efforts to lose weight and save money, I got a bunch of rice and beans the last time I went to the store. The first three batches of beans I made still came out a bit crunchy, even though I soaked them overnight and cooked them what seemed like forever. This last batch I cooked in my crock pot and they came out perfect so I've enjoyed having them for supper the last few nights. I love it when you finally figure out how to cook something right!

I got black beans, red beans, pink beans, split peas, and lentils so I've got a good variety. I also made some cornbread to have on the side.
    I think I posted this in the crock pot thread, but here it is again: A Year of Slow Cooking: Cooking Dried Beans in the Slow Cooker

Really good instructions on cooking dry beans in the crock pot.

I've been only using dry beans for about the last 6 months and, although it does take more planning, it's totally worth it. The only beans I buy canned now are garbanzo beans.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't do the stuff on that website and my beans came out fine. The black beans were soaking in water in the refrigerator for a few days until I cooked them in the crock pot. The pink beans I added were dry. I figured I didn't need to soak them because they would be cooking slowly in the crockpot. I set the crockpot on high and heated the beans in chicken stock until I could smell them cooking, then set the temperature to low and continued cooking until they got soft to my liking, checking the crock pot often and adding water when necessary.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What exactly are the "pink beans"?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I keep some canned beans on hand for those quickies when I need something last minute as an ingredient in a dish. But for the main meal, dried beans are best! Not only are they cheaper, but you get to control everything about what goes into the process. For example, I use only filtered water with my beans, especially for the soaking part. And I use Canadian bacon as a seasoning (the smokey flavor but not the fat, just a slice or two), and usually just salt and pepper. Also, I've read and concur that you don't want to add salt to the beans until the last hour or so of cooking - otherwise the beans are tougher than they might be.

One recipe my family likes is a mixed bean soup with turkey kielbasa added (plus fresh parsley, chopped onion...whatever ) - great on a cold day.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I adore garlic in my beans! OK.....sooooo......I adore garlic, period!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What exactly are the "pink beans"?
    I found a website that identifies different bean types. It says pink beans are chili beans.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

From Critical's link on cooking dried beans in the crockpot, it says this:

(NOTE: if you are using red or kidney beans, you need to boil your beans rapidly on the stove for at least 10 minutes to kill a possible toxin lurking in the beans. It's better to be safe than sorry!)

I've cooked dried kidney beans in my crockpot for years without boiling and with no problems. What's that all about? Have I been just been lucky? what toxins?

+ Reply to Thread