+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Chef daughter coming home Wednesday! Preparing to go off diet for a few days...
    Oh, nice! Can't wait to hear what she makes for you this trip :-)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It figures. Not long after extolling the virtues of Eggland's Best eggs at this forum, I ended up getting a funny batch. I sent a comment to their website this morning to report it so I'll just paste here what I wrote:

--I've been buying Eggland's Best for a long time and never had a problem with them until the most recent carton I bought. The first egg I cracked was partially solid and the white wasn't clear. It was like it was partially cooked. It didn't smell bad or have blood in it but to be on the safe side, I didn't eat it. Since then, I've come across several other eggs in the same carton with this problem. I don't know if something went wrong where they were processed, at the grocery store, or in my refrigerator. I doubt it happened at my house because I live a short distance from the store and immediately refrigerated the eggs when I got home. Plus I haven't changed my refrigerator settings in a long time and no other foods in the refrigerator have had a problem. This won't prevent me from buying Eggland's Best in the future, unless the next carton I buy has this same problem.--

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I write to a company about problems with their, usually, stellar products, I've always had the companies falling all over themselves apologizing and, then, sending me coupons for FREE products of theirs. At the very least, I would expect you to get a free carton of eggs. Companies appreciate hearing about problems we find.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm not shy about writing to companies, either to notify them of a problem or to tell them when they're doing a good job. So far I haven't gotten any coupons from doing so but most of the time I get a nice response.

Burger King had the worst customer service. I had gone to a Burger King in my area one day to get a Whopper with cheese and was told I couldn't get one that day. I could get a Whopper without cheese or a Triple Whopper with cheese but not a regular Whopper with cheese. I had the lady at the drive-thru repeat this three times to make sure I was hearing correctly. I was so disgusted by that, I drove away and went to another fast food place and then wrote a letter to Burger King to complain. They sent me back a standard form letter that didn't even address my issue, no coupons, NOTHING. A few weeks after this incident, I went to a different Burger King with a friend and told the lady who served us there about my experience and she was flabbergasted. She said "Of course you can get a Whopper with cheese any day of the week!". She had no idea what the problem was at the other location.

Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. I've gotten free pizzas, free dishwasher detergent, free milk, free burgers (10 White Castles!).....all kinds of stuff. While I don't know your phrasing about your complaints, I always fluff up their egos about their products before I register my complaint. My philosophy is that it's not so much what you say as how you say it.

Keep on pushin'! Don't give up!

(It has become a running joke between my son and me when I start fussing about being unhappy with a product, he always says, "I know you're going to write a letter!"
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. I've gotten free pizzas, free dishwasher detergent, free milk, free burgers (10 White Castles!).....all kinds of stuff. While I don't know your phrasing about your complaints, I always fluff up their egos about their products before I register my complaint. My philosophy is that it's not so much what you say as how you say it.
    Keep on pushin'! Don't give up!

(It has become a running joke between my son and me when I start fussing about being unhappy with a product, he always says, "I know you're going to write a letter!"
    Shay,

Can we possibly be twins separated by birth?!!
    I've been writing letters forever, as well, and I always start off the letters by telling them how much I've loved their product forever, etc........
    You catch more flies with honey, don't you?!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

That's alright. I don't write to get free stuff, just to let them know if I'm happy with a product or have problems with it. I don't think I'm rude but I'm not going to fluff them up. I like to get to the point and let them know what I expect them to do about it. If I'm writing to inform them of something, they don't have to do anything except maybe acknowledge receipt of my letter.

I guess I write the way I do because having worked in state offices and having people write 5 page letters or keep you on the phone while they tell you their life story when their request could be made in one paragraph, I like to keep it short and sweet. I often wish the people who contact me would get to the point quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Can you repost the link, or paste in the recipe?

I tried opening it 2x and it wouldn't allow me to. TIA. THat recipe sounds delish!!
    I would love to try it, too, and the link didn't work...so I went to the food.com website and found it -- hope this works (thanks for providing this, pikachu

Blue Cheese Tart Recipe - Food.com - 342116
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    That's alright. I don't write to get free stuff, just to let them know if I'm happy with a product or have problems with it. I don't think I'm rude but I'm not going to fluff them up. I like to get to the point and let them know what I expect them to do about it. If I'm writing to inform them of something, they don't have to do anything except maybe acknowledge receipt of my letter.

I guess I write the way I do because having worked in state offices and having people write 5 page letters or keep you on the phone while they tell you their life story when their request could be made in one paragraph, I like to keep it short and sweet. I often wish the people who contact me would get to the point quicker.
    My letters are very brief (about 3 short paragraphs), and they usually garner results. I don't ask for freebies. They just send them! I dash off the letter, forget about it, and here comes the free stuff. OK, by me!

As part of my efforts to lose weight and save money, I got a bunch of rice and beans the last time I went to the store. The first three batches of beans I made still came out a bit crunchy, even though I soaked them overnight and cooked them what seemed like forever. This last batch I cooked in my crock pot and they came out perfect so I've enjoyed having them for supper the last few nights. I love it when you finally figure out how to cook something right!

I got black beans, red beans, pink beans, split peas, and lentils so I've got a good variety. I also made some cornbread to have on the side.

+ Reply to Thread