+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I love omelettes too......I just wish that I knew how to make one properly. Mine always turn out to be scrambled eggs with extra stuff in them.

Ground turkey users please note:
    Salmonella-Tainted Ground Turkey Outbreak Hits 26 States
    luvsginger likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Bunny, making a proper omelette isn't too difficult once you've done it a few times. The trick is you need to separate the egg white and the yolk. Whip the egg whites to make them fluffy, then add the yolks. My old cookbooks used to advise to add a tbsp of hot water to the yolks before adding them to the whites and I used to do that but I don't anymore and they still turn out fine.

After you've gently mixed the whites and yolk, add them to a hot, greased pan. I use a little butter and olive oil. The oil gives the eggs the right texture, the butter adds flavoring. When the bottom has set a bit, put a lid on the pan and let the omelette cook for a few minutes. When you remove the lid a few minutes later, the omelette is nicely puffed up. That's when you can add your fillings and fold the omelette in half. If you want to put toppings on the omelette, like more cheese, bacon, spinach, whatever, put the lid back on for a little bit and then it's ready to serve!

I've made a one-egg omelette before by putting the egg white into a cup wide enough to accomodate my immersion blender (needs to be a pretty tall cup, like a 12-ounce plastic cup). It's amazing how far you can make one egg stretch!
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-04-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Has anyone played with the television-advertised product "Eggies" yet. I am so gadgety that I kind of want some, but I'm not sure I'd even use the stupid things over one time...and I don't actually have problems peeling boiled eggs anymore. Somebody her on this board gave me the trick to peeling them smoothly, and I've been good ever since. I guess if I got them as a gift, I wouldn't complain!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I hadn't noticed commercials for Eggies. Since I'm usually on Facebook or doing something else while watching tv, I might have just mentally tuned them out. Gadgets like that I might use if given as a gift but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one. I don't have room in my condo for the stuff I already own, let alone room to add another one-trick pony gadget.

I'd like to know the trick to peeling hard-boiled eggs. If you could direct me to a post or send me a pm, I'd appreciate it!

What works best for me is to peel the eggs while they're still warm. I'll run cold water over them while I peel them in the sink and most of the time they peel pretty easily. That's fine for when I'm making deviled eggs for a party but if I'm making hard-boiled eggs to eat all week, I prefer to peel them as I use them rather than all at once and sometimes those get hard to peel.

I've seen the commercial for Eggies and all I can think is that would be one more thing I'd have to wash! The thing about infomercials is that they create a problem and then they solve it. How long does it really take to peel an egg? The infomercial makes it look like it takes 10 minutes, when it usually takes me about 10 seconds....and the "container" I cooked it in doesn't need to be washed

A lot of those gadgets are a total pain to clean. My mom got one of those brownie pans with the insert that is like a checkerboard. I guess the idea is that every brownie is chewy on the edges. All my mom could see is how long it would take to wash that insert.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Good point about just having one more thing to wash, but don't you still have to wash the pan you boiled the eggs in? I do, but I guess I'd have to wash the Eggie thingy and the pan, too! God sure knew what he was doing when he made sure I had a dishwasher!! That was something that my former husband didn't understand! I tried to tell him!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I got a funnel cake maker and boy, that thing is a pain to wash! I didn't have any scrubbers long and skinny enough to get in the funnel so it ended up getting moldy after the first use. Now I'm afraid to use it until I get that mold out of there. I think I would be better off to buy a new funnel and buy a tool to clean it with.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Good point about just having one more thing to wash, but don't you still have to wash the pan you boiled the eggs in? I do, but I guess I'd have to wash the Eggie thingy and the pan, too! God sure knew what he was doing when he made sure I had a dishwasher!! That was something that my former husband didn't understand! I tried to tell him!!!
    Yeah, you do have to wash the pan, but that takes maybe a minute, tops. The only dishwasher in my house is ME, so all the talk from those infomercials about how things are dishwasher safe mean nothing. It doesn't matter how quick and easy it is to cook something if I have to spend so much time washing the gadget when I'm done with it!

pikachu - I'd soak the whole thing in bleach. That's what I do with the hard plastic straws for the reusable plastic cups I use. I don't feel like buying a special tool to clean them, so I wash them in hot soapy water and then bleach them. Of course, I only ever have iced tea of water in them - nothing sticky. Of course, your funnel cake maker is different since it's got batter in it. I'm surprised they didn't include a tool to wash the thing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Our grocery store sells hardboiled eggs already peeled. It's about 25 cents more a dozen than raw ones. I occasionally buy them when I want to make potato salad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Have to admit that I enjoy boiling my own eggs and peeling them now! I hate throwing away money for no good reason, although some reasons are really good ones, to me!

I am one of those people who will never consider being without a dishwasher. That was my most hated chore as a youngster, plus I was super-allergic to the dish detergent. Gloves are all well and good until you get a pinhole in one of them and the skin on your hand goes to hell with the itching, cracking, and redness.

+ Reply to Thread