+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I was just watching Dr. Oz and he said throw away left-overs in the fridge after 4 days. What? I like to make up a crockpot full of veggie soup and eat it over the course of a week. Thoughts?
    Could you store the leftover soup in one serving size containers in the freezer and take it out as needed?
    For me it depends on the type of left over...4 days is my limit.

Here's something to think about.

Processed Meats Declared Too Dangerous for Human Consumption | Natural Health

Processed Meats Declared Too Dangerous for Human Consumption
    By Mike Adams

Hot DogsThe World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has just completed a detailed review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer. Its conclusion is rocking the health world with startling bluntness: Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives.

Processed meats include bacon, sausage, hot dogs, sandwich meat, packaged ham, pepperoni, salami and virtually all red meat used in frozen prepared meals. They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite. This is used as a color fixer by meat companies to turn packaged meats a bright red color so they look fresh. Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them. More.....
    Ellen likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

We buy processed meats with no nitrites/nitrates or anything artificial. The brand I look for is "Open Nature." They also sell fresh meats without hormones, antibiotics, or coloring treatments. They are not the only brand doing this, but you can check out what is available locally. This brand is available at Safeway and Genuardi's in my area.

I am sure there are similar brands everywhere. Here's a description of the packaged/prepared meats.

Genuardi's - Open Nature - Meat - Packaged

Applegate Farms in another one:

http://www.applegatefarms.com/our_promise.aspx
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 07-28-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Thank you for posting this, Unk!
    We've been avoiding this crap for years in our home. A little bit later [insert slap upside the head], we also started avoiding restaurants which persist in serving this crap.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

What kind of snacks do you keep at work? I don't have breakfast before I leave home in the morning so I keep things at my desk I can snack on. Sometimes I'll bring yogurt or fruit with me. I've brought in snack crackers (like Toastchee and Cheese on Wheat), cereal, instant grits, instant oatmeal, almonds, microwave popcorn, crystal light, hot chocolate and cappuccino mix. I also like to have a stash of chocolate for when I get cravings (something small like Hershey's miniatures, kisses, or peanut butter cups).

I don't keep all of this at work all the time. When I get tired of one item, I'll stop bringing it and start bringing something else.

One of my favorite at-work meals is chocolate oatmeal. I microwave water in a mug and then add one packet of maple brown sugar and one packet of hot chocolate (usually the Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate Sensation). It's really wonderful!

For a while, I was also keeping more substantial meals on hand. After missing lunch one day and not being in the mood for snack food, I took in some ramen noodles and Dinty Moore microwavable meals. Eventually I used them and haven't replaced them.

Fort Member

Two of us share a large office, we have a fridge, toaster and kettle. My co worker does not eat breakfast so he brings in snacks all the time to share. His stash includes crackers, cheese, cereal, marshmellows, muffins, honey, 2 minute noodles, exotic teas and pepsi. I do occassionally restock them for him as I do eat the crackers and cheese and drink the pepsi and tea.
    Me, I just have a drawer full of mini chocolate bars and tic tacs and I make sure I never run out, a day without chocolate is not one I want to experience.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The office I work in now is very health-conscious. At my last job, people had soft drinks and all kinds of junk food in the fridge. It surprised me when I started working here to find mostly bottled water and juice in the fridge. It's kind of nice, though. It helps when I'm dieting not to have tempting things lurking about.

We also have a small kitchen in the building, with a sink and a full-size refrigerator. The main administration building even has a stove with an oven! There are BBQ grills outside. I've often wondered if anyone actually uses the stove and grills.

OK - you have to bear with me being annoying about my plant-based diet, but my snacks are in the fruit and veggie vein now... snap peas, baby carrots, lightly steamed green beans, a bowl of cherry tomatoes or grapes. Cherries are in season, plums. I also like to make a smoothie and put in enough frozen fruits that it will keep cold for a few hours and slowly sip on that. Today I was in my classroom organizing and I brought half of a microwaved sweet potato that I had peeled and cut into long quarters in a baggie. I also had a tupperware container of fresh cut-up peaches.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I find nothing satisfies me more, for breakfast, than a yummy omelet!!! It can keep me satisfied for many hours!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love omelettes! I just had one for lunch yesterday. I made it with leftover pot roast and cheddar cheese. Sure was good! I don't have breakfast most mornings because my stomach can't handle food that early. Especially eggs. I tend to get bad stomach cramps if I eat breakfast, unless I take some IBS medicine before I eat.

I want to start eating healthier again so the next time I go to the store, I plan to get fruits, vegetables, beans, rice and fish. I'll get salmon for sure and have to see what other fish looks good. I have to wait until my next payday before I can go grocery shopping again.

+ Reply to Thread