+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 479 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I'm making Mariner's spiced pork tenderloin for dinner tonight. It always makes the house smell so good! I'm hoping that, this time, I can make it last a little longer! I'm going to make some biryani rice and steamed veggies too. YUM!

ETA: Aw, darn. The tenderloin I bought already went bad I was even ahead of the sell-by date. WAH!
    Last edited by Critical; 11-09-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And I'd be taking it back to the store!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Didn't buy it at the store: got it at the farmer's market. I won't be able to see the seller for another week. It's got to be a complete fluke. I've bought from the same guy for some time and have never had a problem.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oh, yikes! That's a drag.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3231304;
    In the summer, I make up my own pesto and use it on sandwiches instead of mayo. It's much more flavorful.

I don't like any of the jarred pesto I've tried. I agree with everyone else who suggested Whole Foods or another store that prepares it fresh. The jarred stuff has lots of preservatives and chemicals. The best thing about pesto is the fresh taste. It's really so easy to make that I prefer just doing it myself.
    I agree -- plus, it's so easy to make fresh pesto, it doesn't make sense to get the jarred stuff.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3231574;
    I agree -- plus, it's so easy to make fresh pesto, it doesn't make sense to get the jarred stuff.
    In the summer I have plenty of access to fresh basil, but right now, I don't, so I have to rely on the jarred versions. Fresh is better, but not always available. I can buy fresh basil in the grocery, but to actually buy enough to make pesto, I'm better off buying the jarred as then I won't have made a small batch of fresh for about $12-$15.

So I enjoy fresh when I can and make do with jarred when I have too.

Whole foods and Fresh Market did not have their own versions this weekend, I looked as I was getting hungry for pesto with all this talk about it. I'm fairly certain that it's seasonal for them too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3231574;
    I agree. In the summer, I always make a huge batch or two of pesto and separate it into small containers and freeze it. Before you freeze it, if you drizzle the top with olive oil, then it won't turn brown. Then I can just pull out a small amount, and use it as I need it, all year long.

MRD

I never thought about freezing it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3231682;
    In the summer I have plenty of access to fresh basil, but right now, I don't, so I have to rely on the jarred versions. Fresh is better, but not always available. I can buy fresh basil in the grocery, but to actually buy enough to make pesto, I'm better off buying the jarred as then I won't have made a small batch of fresh for about $12-$15.

So I enjoy fresh when I can and make do with jarred when I have too.

Whole foods and Fresh Market did not have their own versions this weekend, I looked as I was getting hungry for pesto with all this talk about it. I'm fairly certain that it's seasonal for them too.
    Wow! That is expensive! The most I have paid for basil is $4/bunch but when you figure in the nuts, cheese and olive oil it can be expensive.

MRD

One bunch of basil here is not enough to make a batch of pesto. They sell it in a plastic box like thing and not in a bunch like the parsley. The boxlike basil is about $3-4 or you'd need a few boxes of it to make a batch.
    Now if I could get a huge batch of basil like I can of parsely for that amount then it wouldn't be so bad. The cost and method of packaging are one of the reasons I started growing my own and why I use basil in a tube the rest of the year.

+ Reply to Thread