+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Mayonnaise was another thing my friend's family varied on from mine. My family used plain Kraft or other brands of mayonnaise. They used Miracle Whip. There are some things I like the Miracle Whip better on, like hot dogs or a turkey sandwich, but for tuna salad, I prefer regular mayo.

One time I was going to make a broccoli casserole a lady at work had brought for one of our office parties. It had tasted so good, I got the recipe from her so I could make it myself. While I was making it, I discovered I didn't have enough mayonnaise. I was too lazy to go to a regular store so I went to the nearest convenience store. All they had was Miracle Whip so I thought, ok, close enough. BIG MISTAKE. That was the nastiest casserole I ever ate. I ended up throwing the whole thing out after trying a bite and I know now not to exchange Miracle Whip for mayonnaise in recipes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The only thing I've ever noticed that Miracle Whip and Mayo have in common is appearance! I'm with you....not, at all, interchangeable. People are often shocked that they are totally different products....and are meant to be.

Kraft makes Miracle Whip AND Mayo.

It's called "live and learn"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Re: tuna salad. If anyone is trying to cut down on sodium, Trader Joe's carries tuna with no salt added. I use one can of TJ's and one can of regular water-pack tuna, with chopped celery. TJ's also makes a low-fat, lower-sodium mayonnaise.
    I add some no-salt seasoning and dill. I eat like this out of necessity, but it tastes good.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I like a little chopped celery and real mayonnaise in my tuna salad. NO MIRACLE WHIP, thank you. I absolutely, positively despise Miracle Whip. When I was dorming at college the university cafeteria only used Miracle Whip. There was no mayonnaise to be found. Since I resided in the dorm for 2 years and was on the meal plan that meant 2 whole school years of no tuna salad nor egg salad, another favorite. No mayo on a turkey sandwich. Sometimes I'd call the local sub shop late in the evening and split a tuna hero with my roomie, because the sub shop used mayo and not Miracle Whip. Different strokes....
    MRD likes this.

I don't like mayo. I don't like Miracle Whip.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I like mayo and Miracle Whip. Most of my family doesn't like mayo. I guess it is just a taste preference. When I make potato salad I use mayo, miracle whip and ranch dressing with a touch of mustard.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

My mother never had mayo in the house, always Miracle Whip. I grew up with that. A few years ago I tried mayo on something and now it depends on my mood - I use both now.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Give me Hellman's mayo or nothing. I have also made my own mayo on occasion. Homemade is INCREDIBLE.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Give me Hellman's mayo or nothing. I have also made my own mayo on occasion. Homemade is INCREDIBLE.
    I should amend my post to say "jarred mayo." I've had and liked homemade — it's a whole different "animal," probably because of all the stuff it doesn't contain. Even then, just a little as a spread, but not as a binder or dressing with any sort of salad. I'm weird!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think each has its place. I like having different choices. Sometimes I am in a mayo mood; other times I am in a Miracle Whip mood. I am a snob to neither!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread