+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Am I the only person who puts their can of tuna and their boiled eggs in the 'fridge when it's time to make tuna salad? I start getting the inkling of wanting tuna salad a few days before I actually make it, and I start refrigerating. I have a relative that thought that was soooo strange.
    Shay, I'm not even your relative and I think it's strange!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't do it (allergic to fish), but it makes perfect sense to me. Your body is probably wanting some kind of nutrient that your tuna salad ingredients provide, so it gives you a "beginning" craving. Lucky you that you listen to your body to have your ingredients to the proper temperature so that you're ready when your body starts to scream for tuna salad!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I don't put the tuna in the fridge, but the eggs are never NOT in the fridge.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I put curry in my tuna salad, and I cut the mayo with non-fat yogurt.
    Count your blessings!

Am I the only person who puts their can of tuna and their boiled eggs in the 'fridge when it's time to make tuna salad? I start getting the inkling of wanting tuna salad a few days before I actually make it, and I start refrigerating. I have a relative that thought that was soooo strange.
    I don't put the can of tuna in the fridge but I do refrigerate tuna salad for a few hours before I eat it.

FORT Fogey

Shay -- I always keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, but I think it may be easier to drain the liquid (or oil) out of the tuna can when it is at room temperature. JMHO. Have a good day, my friend.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I slightly misspoke. I always keep eggs in the 'fridge. It's the unopened tuna that I like to refrigerate. I have no idea why or when I started doing it; maybe it's just to keep it in front of my face.

Making tuna salad also gives me a rare chance to use my cute pink bunny can opener, and my favorite onion chopper! With as much as I don't cook, those things don't get much of a workout. I am very popular with my gurls on tuna salad days!

And, am I the last one to know that using the leaves on celery stalks is a flavor enhancer? I think I got that from Paula Deen.

"Somebody" needs to start an "Am I the Last One to Know...." thread!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-22-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't do that, prhoshay. For one thing, I don't put hard-boiled egg in my tuna salad. My mom did that sometimes and I didn't like it that way.

I usually make tuna salad by draining the liquid from the can of tuna and adding a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise directly to the tuna can. That way I don't have a separate bowl or cup to wash after making my tuna salad. One can of tuna is enough for two sandwiches so I divide the mixture between two slices of bread, top each of them with another slice of bread, eat one sandwich, and put the other one in a ziploc bag to have later.

Once in a while, I make a hot tuna sandwich instead. That was how my best friend's family had tuna. You drain the tuna, put it in a skillet with one egg and some cheese, scramble it around until it's hot and the egg is cooked through, and serve it on bread with mayonnaise on it.

Tuna is one of the things I crave when I'm dieting. Someone at a Weight Watchers meeting said that means your body is craving magnesium. I don't know if that's true but maybe.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

BTW, how is your username pronounced and does it mean anything?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sent you a PM.

I chop up so many veggies into my tuna salad that it fills a 2-quart, lidded casserole dish. The hot tuna sounds interesting. I used to have a friend who made his tuna with so much Miracle Whip, or whatever, that it would be thin and runny enough to pour into a glass. That was his cheapness coming out! He called himself trying to "stretch it"....and he was not even financially challenged. I guess old habits are just hard to break.

I use the large can of Starkist (not the family size) which is, I think 13-14 ounces.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread