+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Sounds yum!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Makes me want Paella now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

In the cookbook thread, there's a bit of a discussion about eating habits, how some people like eating one thing on their plate at a time, others like mixing it all up. It was a bit off-topic for that thread so I thought I'd discuss it here.

My mom was the only one in my family who liked mixing everything up. She was one of those who believed it all ends up in the same place so what difference does it make. My dad, my sister, and I preferred to have everything on our plate separated because you have taste buds in your mouth but not in your stomach so it does matter how it goes down even if it ends up in the same place!

I never thought my eating habits were too weird until I was having dinner with some friends and one of them asked me what I thought of the roast beef and I said I hadn't gotten to it yet. I like to eat my foods in a certain order, usually starting with my least favorite and ending with my most favorite. Other factors have to be taken into account, though, such as which foods will cool down fast and need to be eaten before they're cold, which foods will be too hot to eat first and need time to cool down, which foods will get soggy the longer they sit out, etc. I could probably write a lengthy book about the order I eat things in and the reasons why. lol! It doesn't seem that complicated to me because it's all instinctive but when I try to explain it to others, it sounds more complicated than it really is.

pikachu - My son does the same thing, eats one food at a time. He's done it since he was little and I never really thought much about it. Always figured it's his food, as long as he eats, I don't care what order it's done in. I don't know if he has any specific order though. I guess I'll have to ask.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Sounds like a lot of work, to me. I'd rather just, leisurely, enjoy my meal, enjoying a little of each food as I go. Is that what you mean by "mixing everything up"? Some foods are wonderful when eaten in combo with others; some really want to stand alone.

What about foods touching each other on the plate? That always struck me as bizarre when people/children panic over that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I learned from experience that if you get a combo plate at a Mexican restaurant, you need to eat the taco first because it gets soggy. It's not only gross eating a soggy taco but the bottom tends to fall out, making it even messier to eat. Some of my friends eat tacos with a fork so I guess that isn't an issue for them but I like picking tacos up to eat them. And I don't like soft tacos or wraps at all, only crispy ones.

prhoshay: Mixing it up can be either eating a bite of this and that or actually combining separate foods in to one mass. The latter is what my mom did. Looked disgusting to me!

I'm not as bad as I used to be about having foods touching. I guess it was in high school or so where I got fine with everything being on the same plate and touching, as long as they weren't actually mixed together. When I go to buffets, I put food items in their own little groups around the plate and try to keep dry items away from wet items. I want my crab rangoons to stay nice and crunchy and not get seeped with soy sauce!
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.

I'm not friendly with Mexican food or Mexican restaurants. My stomach triple-dog-dares me, so I'm not real familiar with tacos and........refried beans.....fuggedaboutit!! Not even a taco salad!

I'm guessing that Chinese food, which I adore, is totally out for you unless it is something that totally stands alone!!!

Lo Mein!! Egg Foo Young!! Chicken/shrimp fried rice!!

I don't mind a dish that has multiple ingredients. I just want to make sure my peanut chicken is not mingling with my pepper steak. I love the Chinese buffet across the street from where I work. I try not to think of them because as soon as I think of their peanut chicken, I have to go there and get it!!! I usually go at lunchtime since the buffet is cheaper then. Plus, I've noticed the food isn't as hot and plentiful in the evening.

It's too bad you can't eat Mexican food but then again, it's probably just as well since it's not the healthiest cuisine. My stomach has problems, too, but lately it's messed up all the time so it doesn't matter so much what I eat. I take some IBS medicine before my meal when I eat out and that takes care of most of the problem.

Has anyone else tried Ore-Ida's sweet potato fries? I had a coupon for a free package, so I got some the other day. I just had some for lunch and was pleasantly surprised! I wasn't sure if the frozen ones would be as good as the fried ones you can get at restaurants, but they were pretty good. A serving size is just over 20 fries and it's about 170 calories - much less than regular fries! Plus, sweet potatoes are just better for you than potatoes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I make my own sweet potato fries. Super easy.
    pikachu - I eat the same way as you. Always have. My mom used to try to get me to eat "normally" and I would do so to please her, but any time I wasn't thinking specifically about that, I would revert to my own "normal".
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread