+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I think the "couple of blocks away" location is kind of dumb, actually. What is the point? Kind of like a "nanny nanny boo boo" thing, if you ask me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It wouldn't even be a choice for me. WF is WAY too expensive. The last time I was in one, they had a whole chicken (it was probably organic and free-range and spoon-fed or something) for $17.00. I could buy a ton of food at TJ's for that price.

Has anyone tried the purple fingerling potatoes that are all over the stores now? I remember having them years ago, but I ended up with a mixed bag of various fingerlings, including the purple ones and I found that I really like them! I also read an article about how good they are for you. Apparently, they have the same antioxidants as blueberries.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Has anyone tried the purple fingerling potatoes that are all over the stores now? I remember having them years ago, but I ended up with a mixed bag of various fingerlings, including the purple ones and I found that I really like them! I also read an article about how good they are for you. Apparently, they have the same antioxidants as blueberries.
    I like them. I buy bags of red, purple, and the regular colored ones. I roast them in the oven and they are really good. I don't really notice a difference in flavor, but they are so pretty when they are all roasted together. I didn't realize they have the blueberry antioxidant. All the more reason to like them.

I did some or the purple ones a few days ago in the skillet with some chicken and onions. I seasoned with (of course) garlic and herbes de provence and it was delicious! The only downside is that it's harder to see when the potatoes are browned!

I like the fingerling and new potatoes better since they hold their shape and don't go to mush. I did some red and white ones in a soup in my crock pot a few weeks ago and they were really good. I didn't even have to peel them before I chopped them up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I use the small red and white ones to make mashed potatoes, and I never peel them, and don't make them like a puree. My family loves them, and it's easier for me. I call them "rustic"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think the "couple of blocks away" location is kind of dumb, actually. What is the point? Kind of like a "nanny nanny boo boo" thing, if you ask me.
    In my town, I don't think they'd dare-- our Trader Joe's is awful.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love unpeeled, new potatoes in potato salad! Delightful!

I've never been successful at making potato salad.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Something I learned recently about making potato salad -- tossing the cut-up potatoes with a little oil and lemon juice while they're still warm, then letting them cool, it will keep them from soaking up so much mayo. I don't know if that's common potato-salad-making knowledge, but it was new to me (as finally actually read a recipe for it).
    My daughter has been looking over some old cookbooks that belonged to my great-aunt. There's a candy book, and yesterday we made chocolate marshmallows. They taste so good, and it was really fun, but we made such a mess! Next on her list - gumdrops. Should be interesting.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    My daughter has been looking over some old cookbooks that belonged to my great-aunt. There's a candy book, and yesterday we made chocolate marshmallows. They taste so good, and it was really fun, but we made such a mess! Next on her list - gumdrops. Should be interesting.
    Homemade marshmallows are SO good! And totally different from the store bought ones. I've never been very ambitious, so I've never made them myself, but there's a candy store/chocolate maker here that makes them in different varieties. The peppermint ones are to die for!

^Yep, not that I'm such a great cook, but I was surprised at how good those marshmallows tasted. I guess it's like most things, homemade is so different than storebought, but I didn't expect it of a little marshmallow. I got a stand mixer for my birthday (sounds un-exciting, but for me it was just what I'd been wanting for a while now), so that's the reason for my newfound "ambition" in the kitchen -- it's like trying out a new toy. Once the novelty wears off, it may be a different story; but for now I'm trying out new recipes (especially breads as I'm lovin' using the dough hook).
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread