+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 473 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3230966;
    I am a garlic-head! Sounds like an adventure! Thanks!
    Ahh! A pesto virgin! I posted my favorite Basic Pesto Sauce recipe in the recipes thread just for you! Toss with pasta and serve with a salad and you've got yourself a pretty good meal!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Somebody give me a good, jarred brand name pesto to try.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3231076;
    Do you have a good Italian Deli nearby? They usually sell pesto by the pint. Be careful of some of the pesto in the jars as some of them have vinegar in it. I don't know why they add vinegar, it might be because it is a preservative, but to me it ruins the taste. I know that the brand Costco uses has vinegar in it.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3231076;
    I usually buy DeLallo. I avoid Classico, I don't think it's very good pesto. But in general, in my experience, the greener and oilier the pesto looks, the better.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Bertolli is not bad for a regular grocery store. But if you have a Fresh Market or a Whole Foods, they usually have some that are way better. Sometimes I have seen Whole Foods make their own. I've never tried it, but if it's like some of the other stuff they make, then I bet it's FABULOUS.

I like to make crostini with it. Sprinkle a little parmesan on top of it and pop in the oven to warm. Yummy.
    I also speard it on boneless skinless chicken breasts and bake. Also on salmon fillets and bake. And I have even put it in a baked potato.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In the summer, I make up my own pesto and use it on sandwiches instead of mayo. It's much more flavorful.

I don't like any of the jarred pesto I've tried. I agree with everyone else who suggested Whole Foods or another store that prepares it fresh. The jarred stuff has lots of preservatives and chemicals. The best thing about pesto is the fresh taste. It's really so easy to make that I prefer just doing it myself.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've got a Whole Foods and and Italian deli close by!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The little gourmet store by my house has pesto hummus, it is really one of the best things ever. Every time I serve it at a get together, it's the first item gone. It's super good.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3231309;
    I've got a Whole Foods and and Italian deli close by!
    I can't vouch fro your Italian deli but the one that I frequent has a decent pesto. I usually don't have to embellish it too much except to add a little salt to it. Since you have never had it before, it will be difficult for you to tell if it is a "good" pesto or not. I bet Whole Foods sells bunches of basil. Check it out!

MRD

I bet the Italian Deli has great pesto Prhoshay.

Yardgnome, I bet the pesto hummus is fabulous. I love all the different flavored hummus out there that I've tried.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread