+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I would just forgo the flavoured yogurt and buy some fresh mangoes and mix it with plain yogurt. I don't buy flavoured yogurt any longer after checking out the ingredient lists on them. I found a lot of crap in there, which ticked me off as yogurt is marketed as a healthy food choice. I mix fruit and yogurt every day for my mid-morning snack. Frozen fruit if no fresh is available. Mind you, I don't like frozen mango, it's nowhere near as tasty as fresh. Berries, pomegrante seeds, and cherries are fine frozen, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've been craving grapes like crazy, for about a month, but I was going to ask around to find out who has the best grapes right now; I have friends who are in stores much more than I will ever be. One of my friends told me to "just drink some wine!". I just about yelled at her...when I want grapes....I want GRAPES...when I want wine....I'll find some wine!!! Wine, in no way, would satisfy my grape craving, but I guess it would put me to sleep so that I wouldn't feel or I would forget about the grape craving.........but..........n o thank you, Miss Ella!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm thinking of making my own yogurt which sounds like a simple process. We go thru so much greek yogurt here its getting to be an expensive habit.

HOMEMADE YOGURT debby loves to cook
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    I'm thinking of making my own yogurt which sounds like a simple process. We go thru so much greek yogurt here its getting to be an expensive habit.

HOMEMADE YOGURT debby loves to cook
    It *is* really simple and not all that time consuming -- and I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't done it in a long time! In the late '70s and early '80s, I worked as a paraprofessional aide in an elementary school (Milwaukee German and French Immersion School). One of the school cooks made homemade yogurt for the students and staff, and explained to us -- in German! -- how to do it ourselves, without one of those newfangled (at the time) yogurt makers. I need to start doing that again...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Further to the homemade yogurt / mango talk, I make my own yogurt and add a little vanilla and honey to it. This gets poured over chunks of fresh mango. Best dessert ever.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

what kind of milk do you use to make it rattus? I think for greek yogurt its supposed to be made out of goat or sheep milk. But I wouldn't know where to find that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    what kind of milk do you use to make it rattus? I think for greek yogurt its supposed to be made out of goat or sheep milk. But I wouldn't know where to find that. lol
    You should be able to find at least goats milk at a decent health food store - a large one with a cooler. I just use regular old cow's milk, usually skim. I don't let it ferment too long because I prefer it to be less tart, and then I often drain it in a muslin bag to thicken it. You can add garlic or onion or anything savoury to a smaller amount and let it sit for a longer time in a smaller strainer (I put it in a tea strainer) and you'll end up with a nice creamcheese-like spread for veggies or bread.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

ok sounds easy enough. We have a great coop locally owned health foods store here. I will look there for the goats milk.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've been craving grapes like crazy, for about a month, but I was going to ask around to find out who has the best grapes right now; I have friends who are in stores much more than I will ever be. One of my friends told me to "just drink some wine!". I just about yelled at her...when I want grapes....I want GRAPES...when I want wine....I'll find some wine!!! Wine, in no way, would satisfy my grape craving, but I guess it would put me to sleep so that I wouldn't feel or I would forget about the grape craving.........but..........n o thank you, Miss Ella!
    Once as I was picking out red seedless grapes in the grocery store, an elderly lady told me to pick out grapes with a plump stem, not dried out, and the darker red the sweeter. She was right!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I will definitely keep that in mind. I've been told to go to Sam's for the best grapes! Big and juicy!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread