+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

He probably learned a lot from you! My ex-husband was the cook in our family....and the man was a star in the kitchen! I was known for my occasional pot of chili, and my 7-layer salad. Actually, the man really intimidated me in the kitchen. He was a firefighter, so they all cooked, anyway.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Gut: that sounds fabulous! I always enjoy hearing what she cooks.

Has anyone tried the RVC? I always feel hesitant about posting cake recipes, because unlike pies and cookies, layer and pound cakes are 'temperamental', in that if you don't have them beaten to just exactly the right stage, they can vary from ok to kind of bad instead of the wonderful thing they should be. Plus, that recipe does make a really huge cake
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Has anyone tried the RVC? I always feel hesitant about posting cake recipes, because unlike pies and cookies, layer and pound cakes are 'temperamental', in that if you don't have them beaten to just exactly the right stage, they can vary from ok to kind of bad instead of the wonderful thing they should be. Plus, that recipe does make a really huge cake
    I haven't yet. I was going to then the person I was making it for, and myself, are both sick so I'm hoping to try it next week or so. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About teeth hurting when you eat something sweet....I think I heard, somewhere, that if your teeth hurt when you eat something sweet (or dirnk something cold) it's because there are little holes in your teeth. Ask your dentist. That's a depressing thought. Glad I don't have the problem.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The gel type floride (sp?) you let soak in for a few minutes will seal those holes and stop the pain as long as there is no cavity; the little 'holes' are just channels through the enamel, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    The gel type floride (sp?) you let soak in for a few minutes will seal those holes and stop the pain as long as there is no cavity; the little 'holes' are just channels through the enamel, or something like that.
    My dentist just prescribed that for me this week (there are OTC and Rx strengths) for hot/cold sensitivity issues. I was afraid that I was looking at root canal ($$$) and crown ($$$), but luckily there was no decay -- just some exposed dentin due to some recession of the gum line (apparently, the recession's hit everywhere!). My dentist told me that he has the same thing, too, and the product has been working for him. He said it's great to be able to eat ice cream and fro-yo again!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

QueenB - I just put your RVC into the oven - but I added 1.5 cups of sugar when creaming the butter.

Is there sugar in your recipe? The batter tasted fine with sugar added.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

OH NO! Great guess; it calls for 2 c. and I'm sure it will be fine , at least I hope it is or I owe you a cake! So I'll repost the CORRECT one:

Tips.. allow more time than you think for making this!
    WARNING...makes a big cake! Use a huge bowl to mix! It does freeze fine, by the way.
    Make sure you use cake flour, not the regular, and use 3 9" pans. Grease and flour the sides and use parchment or wax paper circles on the bottom.
    Make sure you let the ingredients sit out long enough to be truly room temperature.
    This cake can go from great to kind of dry in a hurry too so try looking thru the glass a few minutes early and test it if it looks done ahead of time. It still tastes
    good if it dries out some, but will need more icing if it does. I always use a recipe plus 1/2 of icing because the cake gets really tall.

try to get the icing ready while the cake is still very slightly warm. Ice with a very thin layer so it sort of melts onto the cake. Now let it cool all the way, and make a second pretty thin layer. Let this one dry. Finally, do the actual icing. I do all this to keep the red crumbs from showing-if you know a better way, go to it, and share with me!

The Queen's Red Velvet Cake

preheat oven to 350
    Grease and flour sides of pan; place wax-paper circles in the bottom

1/4 cup cocoa
    3 oz. red food coloringmix into a paste and set aside; get all the lumps out!

also set aside--
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon vinegar;
    do not mix yet.

Sift together in a bowl
    4 1/4 c. sifted cake flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl beat until light colored
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    2 cups sugar

Add, one at a time, beating well and scraping after each addition.
    5 large eggs
    1/2 c sour cream

At low speed, beat in until just combined (mixture will look curdled)
    2 cups buttermilk

Add flour mixture in 3 batches beating after each.

Add and beat the coloring paste

Now put the 1 T vinegar and 2 teaspoons baking soda in a bowl, swirl to mix.
    Stir rapidly into the cake batter but do not beat.

Divide the batter into the cake pans, and bake 35 to 40 minutes.

Frost with cream cheese icing; sprinkle chopped pecans on the 2 inside layers. You can sprinkle chopped ones on top also, but I think it's prettier to make a 2 rings of pecans on top of the cake (put them side by side, not end-to-end and then make another ring around the middle layer. You do have to make sure they are lined up somewhat so you can slice between them and not tear the cake up, and it takes longer.
    This usually takes about 1 cup chopped and 1 cup half pecans to do.
    Last edited by queenb; 03-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

It's officially the BEST red velvet cake ever! Sooo much better than the bakery, QueenB! And we have some darn fine bakeries around here.

THANK YOU!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread