+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree535Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    After typing this out for Yardgnome, I figured I would post it for everyone ...
    Thanks so much for providing this. I've never tried to make a RVC, now I have no excuse to not give it a go!
    Last edited by SugarMama; 03-16-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Had a nice, cold 12 oz. bottle of V-8 Vegetable Juice, and it just hit the spot. I am still heartbroken that I don't have a lot more!! That is the BEST stuff!!
    I've started getting them for my son. I buy 20$ or so per week in groceries (he is a broke college student) and I KNOW he doesn't get enough veggies. This is my sneaky way of getting them to him lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Thanks for the recipe, queenb! I love red velvet cake, but have never found a good recipe. We have a dessert diner in town that does a delicious red velvet, but I'd like to be able to make my own.

I'd add this - make sure you remove the wax paper before you assemble the cake. I had a boyfriend whose mother did a cake for someone's birthday and forgot to remove the wax paper from the bottom of each layer - she frosted it and everything. That cake was a bitch to slice!
    Great recipe queenb, good luck on your surgery.

This reminds me of my sister cooking her first turkey 40 yrs ago when she first got married. We still laugh about it to this day. She didn't know there were giblets in a bag inside the turkey, until her new hubby started carving the turkey at the dinner table.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    I've started getting them for my son. I buy 20$ or so per week in groceries (he is a broke college student) and I KNOW he doesn't get enough veggies. This is my sneaky way of getting them to him lol
    Good for him that he likes it. Most of my friends don't understand that I absolutely love it!

Are you spoiling that boy and interfering with the regular college ritual/behavior??

If you are, raise your hand and shout, "Guilty!"
    Last edited by prhoshay; 03-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My son's turning 23 this month and I'm still buying him groceries when I go down to see him. Veggies are an issue with him, too, although I have to admit he eats pretty healthfully.
    Count your blessings!

Yes I'm guilty of spoiling him. But he is doing so well! Honor roll, band geek and not a partier. Plus he is just a kind person. Exactly the kind of son I want!

I know he will eat the veggies, but he is just to lazy or not enough time to cook. Probably a combo of both.

My culinary daughter was home for spring break this week. She only cooked 3 nights including marinated portabello on a salad of arugula, and a pan-seared duck another night, but last night she cooked a feast and we invited my elderly neighbor down to join us:
    Freshly made pasta with chicken that had been cooked submerged in olive oil for 6 hours (crockpot) and julienned pears
    Teeny tiny (the size of your finger tip) potatoes roasted in rendered duck fat and rosemary
    Roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
    Sliced whole-grain baguette spread with a paste of gorgonzola, butter, garlic, fresh parmesan
    Wine
    Dessert - a small mound of creme brulee covered in chocolate mousse on a crushed hazelnut base (Hannaford Inspirations).
    Count your blessings!

wow Gutmutter, you are very lucky! Does your daughter do her own shopping? And what does duck taste like? I had it once when I was a kid but just remember I didn't like it.

We shop together. The duck was excellent.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    Yes I'm guilty of spoiling him. But he is doing so well! Honor roll, band geek and not a partier. Plus he is just a kind person. Exactly the kind of son I want!

I know he will eat the veggies, but he is just to lazy or not enough time to cook. Probably a combo of both.
    My son was the same way the first few years of college. I spoiled him too. Aren't we suppose too? You want them to eat healthy.
    When he moved into an apartment, he started cooking. He has become a good cook.

+ Reply to Thread