+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I do chili in the crockpot when I have to work. I cook the meat on the stove and then dump everything in the crockpot. It doesn't get mushy, but I've never let it go more than 4 h ours.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I've read so many great reviews of the Le Creuset dutch oven (enamel on cast iron). Can you tell me how it performs differently than my Ductch oven (Allclad stainless steel anodized)?
    I don't know all of the scientific ins and outs; however, my experience is that it heats more evenly than the stainless one I used to use, and that the "brown bits" from any veggies or meat come up really nicely during deglazing. We have a quirky electric apartment stove -- the enamel-on-cast-iron cookware (a Le Creuset dutch oven and a cheaper World Market "store brand" small saucepan and single-serving skillet) evens out the uneven heating aspects of our stove's burners. Bottom line -- I get consistent results on an inconsistent stove. I didn't get the same from the stainless (Calphalon, I think?) that I used to have. (And, it gives my arm muscles a workout!)

Almost forgot: it's not nonstick, so I wouldn't use the little skillet for over-easy eggs or sautéing anything delicate such as shrimp or scallops. But for anything that calls for "brown bits" and deglazing, it's great!
    Last edited by Ellen; 03-11-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My Korean "sister, from another mother" (my hair stylist), gave me a single serving tube of Korean coffee. She has been trying to get me to taste this for months, but I've never been in the mood for coffee at the time. Has anyone ever experienced it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, every salon I have frequented tends to be staffed with Vietnamese ladies and men. I've never sen them even touch a cup of coffee.

Can anyone tell me what's the big deal with red velvet cake / cupcakes, etc?
    Some guy was so dismayed the other night that the store had none. I've had red velve cake and I have to say it tastes like cr*p. But, then, I find most store bought cake to taste like cr*p!!
    And please don't get me started on those cupcakes so prevalent and pricey!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My Korean "sister, from another mother" (my hair stylist), gave me a single serving tube of Korean coffee. She has been trying to get me to taste this for months, but I've never been in the mood for coffee at the time. Has anyone ever experienced it?
    I had it once -- at the home of a client who never drinks coffee. I didn't find anything special about it: it was just sweetened instant coffee. I don't like sweet coffee (nor sweet tea), so I didn't like it.

MRD

REAL red velvet cake is absolutely AMAZING!!! Store bought is crap.

Having said that, I have made red velvet cake mostly from a box mix. But I think it's the official dessert of the South, so I've had some red velvet cakes that would make you slap your mama!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of my 'famous' cakes is a red velvet one; home made with real butter, a whole bunch of eggs, buttermilk,sour cream, etc. with cream cheese icing and pecan halves. It's a lot better than store cakes or mixes. (although to me mixes are 10x better than store bakery ones) Real red velvet cake has to have a light chocolate flavor, and real cream cheese icing that tastes like vanilla cream cheese, not Crisco. Some people don't put pecans but I always do unless I'm asked not to. It's not my favorite cake, but it is good.

Why am I in this forum? I'm on my presugical diet consisting of protein shakes and one salad a day. I haven't been eating many desserts lately anyway, but between writing that post and seeing all the Easter candy in stores I do have a sweet tooth. I think tomorrow I'm going to eat one good tast6ing but bad for me meal, and maybe even cake, because Monday, I start clear liquids only.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    ...Why am I in this forum? I'm on my presugical diet consisting of protein shakes and one salad a day....
    Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick, uneventful recovery.

Thanks...I think I'll go make some yummy "chicken soup' now and put a bunch of herbs and spices in there! At least after my surgery (gastric sleeve) I won't be screaming-mad starving like I am now.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Best wishes on your surgery, QueenB.

Glad to hear that there are good red velvet cakes out there.
    The only ones I've seen people rave about were the store bought ones and I thought they were awful.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread