+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Hmmm; maybe I'll just do a handstand while I rinse the shampoo lather out!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Oh, I love that stuff! It seems to make so many things taste better... haven't done this in a while, but used to sprinkle it on steamed brussels sprouts with a little red wine vinegar. Yum.
    So far I've only had it on eggs and it was delicious! My friend says she uses it on everything, so I'm eager to try it out on more foods. I'd never heard of it before, but there are even whole sites devoted to recipes using it. I had no idea!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat? We didn't fry everything when I was coming up. but I know a lot of people who did. Chicken n' dressing, barbecued ribs, biscuits, etc. will put a lot of weight on you too, you know.
    Unk, I was over 30 before I ever even heard of Cracker Barrel. I don't think it got to GA until fairly late, or if it did, I didn't know. My parents preferred Morrison's or S and S cafeteria if they took the family to eat, usually. But it didn't happen much!
    We had dinner at S&S the other night. Love going there. It's inexpensive and they have THE best mashed potatos.

I think Cracker Barrel has gone downhill. Not as good as they were about 20 years ago.

And yep, not everything fried in the South, but, if it's not fried, then it's cooked with pork fat.

Bit of history. What is now known as Soul Food is Southern Food. There were two big migrations to the North from the South in the African American communities. Both happened around the time of both World Wars. The food that they ate in the South, they carried with them to the North. In the 1960's, the term Soul Food was coined to make that food part of the Black Power Movement.
    But down here, we don't call it Southern food or Soul food, we just call it: home cookin'

I LOVE Cavender's and use it on just about anything and everything.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I feel a pot of chili coming on very, very soon.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Last time I made a crockpot full of chili, I got tired of eating it and tried it over elbow pasta... very nice!
    Count your blessings!

I never get tired of eating my chili! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacktime! I've never had chili made in a crockpot.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I never get tired of eating my chili! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacktime! I've never had chili made in a crockpot.
    Me, too! I've really eaten chili for breakfast, and I always say, "Well, who says you have to eat pig for breakfast anyway?" Never thought about it before, but I've never cooked it in a crockpot, either. Hmmm.

I sometimes serve chili with rice, but usually I have buttered egg noodles on the side (my family prefers that). They mix it all up, yummy.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

My chili is accompanied by wheat spaghetti, which I dearly love.

With all due respect to anyone who likes crockpot chili, that seems like it would be mushy, but I've also yet to experience it. So far, I prefer the control I have when it's cooked on top of the stove. (And don't forget the mushrooms and corn!)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    ...I prefer the control I have when it's cooked on top of the stove. ...
    Ever since I got a Le Creuset dutch oven (I bought it for my husband, but I like it, too!), I almost never use the crock pot / slow cooker anymore. I dislike the lack of control with a slow cooker.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ever since I got a Le Creuset dutch oven (I bought it for my husband, but I like it, too!), I almost never use the crock pot / slow cooker anymore. I dislike the lack of control with a slow cooker.
    I've read so many great reviews of the Le Creuset dutch oven (enamel on cast iron). Can you tell me how it performs differently than my Ductch oven (Allclad stainless steel anodized)?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread