+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

  1. #2691
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,187

    Re: General Food Talk

    A little while ago, I got home from a Black History Month event at my friend's church and OMG the food! Fried chicken and fish, black-eyed peas, dirty rice, collard greens, mac & cheese, more rice and beans, hot links, corn bread, banana pudding and peach cobbler. and I'm totally stuffed! I can't eat like that all the time, but man was it good!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  2. #2692
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    A little while ago, I got home from a Black History Month event at my friend's church and OMG the food! Fried chicken and fish, black-eyed peas, dirty rice, collard greens, mac & cheese, more rice and beans, hot links, corn bread, banana pudding and peach cobbler. and I'm totally stuffed! I can't eat like that all the time, but man was it good!
    That's not black food or white food, it's Southern Food y'all l I grew up on it, everything there and then some. Funny all of my relatives lived into their 70's and 80's and ate everything fried: chicken, fish, steak, oysters, okra, zuchinni, eggs, cornbread, potatoes, squash, shrimp, etc. That with the all of the pig eaten in the South (ham, sausage, bacon, ribs, barbeque), I sometimes wonder if all of my "healthy eating" preaching isn't just a load of hogwash. And a gathering without banana pudding and deviled eggs was shameful.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  3. #2693
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: General Food Talk

    Southern born and bred here, too. But not everything's fried. Like my favorite, smothered chicken! Most of the food I grew up on was not fried. Things like fried chicken, cracklin's, hush puppies, etc. were special occasion foods. Or breakfast food. Or, a trip to Cracker Barrel food.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 02-28-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  4. #2694
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,122

    Re: General Food Talk

    A trip to Cracker Barrel is good at any time of the day or evening!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  5. #2695
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Southern born and bred here, too. But not everything's fried. Like my favorite, smothered chicken! Most of the food I grew up on was not fried. Things like fried chicken, cracklin's, hush puppies, etc. were special occasion foods. Or breakfast food. Or, a trip to Cracker Barrel food.
    I was speaking of my older relatives. When I was growing up, we had fried chicken once a week or at least every other week. Cracker Barrel didn't exist when I lived in the South.

    Oh, and gravy...gravy, gravy, gravy (I personally don't like it) even gravy on french fries was popular!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  6. #2696
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Cracker Barrel didn't exist when I lived in the South.
    The first Cracker Barrel opened in 1969 in Lebanon TN, just outside of Nashville. My mom used to go eat there all the time. It was close to my sister's house and she fell in love with it. The original locations were built with gas stations attached.

    Cracker Barrel Restaurant & Stores - Country Heritage from Cracker Barrel

  7. #2697
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: General Food Talk

    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat? We didn't fry everything when I was coming up. but I know a lot of people who did. Chicken n' dressing, barbecued ribs, biscuits, etc. will put a lot of weight on you too, you know.
    Unk, I was over 30 before I ever even heard of Cracker Barrel. I don't think it got to GA until fairly late, or if it did, I didn't know. My parents preferred Morrison's or S and S cafeteria if they took the family to eat, usually. But it didn't happen much!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  8. #2698
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,187

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat? We didn't fry everything when I was coming up. but I know a lot of people who did. Chicken n' dressing, barbecued ribs, biscuits, etc. will put a lot of weight on you too, you know.
    Unk, I was over 30 before I ever even heard of Cracker Barrel. I don't think it got to GA until fairly late, or if it did, I didn't know. My parents preferred Morrison's or S and S cafeteria if they took the family to eat, usually. But it didn't happen much!
    It's not a mystery! It made me very glad I don't have easy access to those foods all the time! That was the best friend chicken I've had in a very long time.

    I grew up in SoCal and, while my parents are Midwesterners, we rarely did the regular meat and potatoes thing. I remember eating tofu as a kid, along with brown rice and all kinds of other foods that are commonplace now, but were "hippie food" in the 70's. It definitely made me an adventurous and open-minded eater!

    A friend just turned me on to Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Is anyone here a fan?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #2699
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat?
    A friend posted this on Facebook. This might be your answer.

    Figured out why I'm chubby! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body". I'm going to start using "Dawn" dish soap. It says "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove".

  10. #2700
    FoRTer coltnlasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: General Food Talk

    ^ good one.

    (adds Dawn to shopping list)

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    A friend just turned me on to Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Is anyone here a fan?
    Oh, I love that stuff! It seems to make so many things taste better... haven't done this in a while, but used to sprinkle it on steamed brussels sprouts with a little red wine vinegar. Yum.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.