+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

A little while ago, I got home from a Black History Month event at my friend's church and OMG the food! Fried chicken and fish, black-eyed peas, dirty rice, collard greens, mac & cheese, more rice and beans, hot links, corn bread, banana pudding and peach cobbler. and I'm totally stuffed! I can't eat like that all the time, but man was it good!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    A little while ago, I got home from a Black History Month event at my friend's church and OMG the food! Fried chicken and fish, black-eyed peas, dirty rice, collard greens, mac & cheese, more rice and beans, hot links, corn bread, banana pudding and peach cobbler. and I'm totally stuffed! I can't eat like that all the time, but man was it good!
    That's not black food or white food, it's Southern Food y'all l I grew up on it, everything there and then some. Funny all of my relatives lived into their 70's and 80's and ate everything fried: chicken, fish, steak, oysters, okra, zuchinni, eggs, cornbread, potatoes, squash, shrimp, etc. That with the all of the pig eaten in the South (ham, sausage, bacon, ribs, barbeque), I sometimes wonder if all of my "healthy eating" preaching isn't just a load of hogwash. And a gathering without banana pudding and deviled eggs was shameful.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Southern born and bred here, too. But not everything's fried. Like my favorite, smothered chicken! Most of the food I grew up on was not fried. Things like fried chicken, cracklin's, hush puppies, etc. were special occasion foods. Or breakfast food. Or, a trip to Cracker Barrel food.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 02-28-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A trip to Cracker Barrel is good at any time of the day or evening!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Southern born and bred here, too. But not everything's fried. Like my favorite, smothered chicken! Most of the food I grew up on was not fried. Things like fried chicken, cracklin's, hush puppies, etc. were special occasion foods. Or breakfast food. Or, a trip to Cracker Barrel food.
    I was speaking of my older relatives. When I was growing up, we had fried chicken once a week or at least every other week. Cracker Barrel didn't exist when I lived in the South.

Oh, and gravy...gravy, gravy, gravy (I personally don't like it) even gravy on french fries was popular!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Cracker Barrel didn't exist when I lived in the South.
    The first Cracker Barrel opened in 1969 in Lebanon TN, just outside of Nashville. My mom used to go eat there all the time. It was close to my sister's house and she fell in love with it. The original locations were built with gas stations attached.

Cracker Barrel Restaurant & Stores - Country Heritage from Cracker Barrel

Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat? We didn't fry everything when I was coming up. but I know a lot of people who did. Chicken n' dressing, barbecued ribs, biscuits, etc. will put a lot of weight on you too, you know.
    Unk, I was over 30 before I ever even heard of Cracker Barrel. I don't think it got to GA until fairly late, or if it did, I didn't know. My parents preferred Morrison's or S and S cafeteria if they took the family to eat, usually. But it didn't happen much!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat? We didn't fry everything when I was coming up. but I know a lot of people who did. Chicken n' dressing, barbecued ribs, biscuits, etc. will put a lot of weight on you too, you know.
    Unk, I was over 30 before I ever even heard of Cracker Barrel. I don't think it got to GA until fairly late, or if it did, I didn't know. My parents preferred Morrison's or S and S cafeteria if they took the family to eat, usually. But it didn't happen much!
    It's not a mystery! It made me very glad I don't have easy access to those foods all the time! That was the best friend chicken I've had in a very long time.

I grew up in SoCal and, while my parents are Midwesterners, we rarely did the regular meat and potatoes thing. I remember eating tofu as a kid, along with brown rice and all kinds of other foods that are commonplace now, but were "hippie food" in the 70's. It definitely made me an adventurous and open-minded eater!

A friend just turned me on to Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Is anyone here a fan?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Critical, reckon why so many of us down here are fat?
    A friend posted this on Facebook. This might be your answer.

Figured out why I'm chubby! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body". I'm going to start using "Dawn" dish soap. It says "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove".

^ good one.

(adds Dawn to shopping list)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    A friend just turned me on to Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Is anyone here a fan?
    Oh, I love that stuff! It seems to make so many things taste better... haven't done this in a while, but used to sprinkle it on steamed brussels sprouts with a little red wine vinegar. Yum.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread