+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 496 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

What is spelt?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3228202;
    So this AM I made spelt muffins. Never having used spelt before I was a little hesitant, but I'm looking for some different types of wheat that will store longer and also have good health benefits. The spelt I got was from Bob's Red Mill and the expire date is 2 years. The muffins were wonderful and the entire family liked them too..always a plus.
    I used to eat Vita Spelt pasta all the time: both the whole grain and the stuff they processed to look like regular noodles. I always liked it a lot. It's not so easy to find where I live now, oddly enough.

Please post the recipe for those muffins over in the recipes thread! I'd love to try spelt in something else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Spelt is an form of wheat, used mostly back in ancient times. It is not grown much here in the U.S. and costs a bit more than regular wheat. Here is a link to Bob's Red Mill where I purchased it.

Bob's Red Mill :: Search results

Critical-posted in the recipe thread.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 11-05-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3228763;
    Spelt is an form of wheat, used mostly back in ancient times. It is not grown much here in the U.S. and costs a bit more than regular wheat. Here is a link to Bob's Red Mill where I purchased it.

Bob's Red Mill*::*Search results

Critical-posted in the recipe thread.
    It's far enough away from wheat that many people with wheat allergies can eat it. I read somewhere that it's sort of like a grandfather to wheat.

Thanks for posting the recipe
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks! I kept thinking smelt and was trying to figure out how you would bake that into a muffin!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I had a Pesto Chicken Salad sandwich the other day that was FABULOUS. I want to recreate it. I am thiking that they put the chicken in a food processor as it was not chunky in big pieces, but more the same size. It also had mayo in it. So I'm thinking that I can just mix prepared pesto with some mayo and some chopped chicken. What do you guys think? You can mix Pesto with mayo right? Or do you think the oil in the Pesto willl separate from the mayo?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have never had pesto before. It's ugly, but I am adventurous. What's in it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Pesto is basically lots of basil, parsley, oil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan cheese chopped together. It is delicious in pasta, in cream sauces, in mayo (yes MRD, you can), on salmon, etc. If you like any or all of those ingredients, you will love pesto.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am a garlic-head! Sounds like an adventure! Thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Prhoshay, it's FABULOUS. I can eat it on crackers and have!
    It is fabulous in everything I've had it in.

Very garlicy and basil-y, you'll love it. I have had some very good jarred pestos, but nothing beats the fresh.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread