+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

My favorite pea soup was from a crepe restaurant called The Magic Pan. They closed years ago and I still miss it! It was French-style pea soup - Potage St. Germain - served with a splash of sherry or a dollop of sour cream.

Okay, I just got curious enough to Google and found a recipe! Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes
    I may just have to try this one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OMG
    I loved the Magic Pan.
    I used to go to the one in Beverly Hills.
    Brings back good memories!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I always went to the one at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. When I was growing up, my mom and I would do a monthly shopping day and always had lunch at the Magic Pan. I was SO sad when they closed. They did a great Monte Cristo too and those are few and far between!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

My grandmother always served us pea soup with peanut butter sandwiches. I can't imagine eating it by itself. If I remember correctly, we even dipped the sandwiches in the soup, but now I can't imagine my grandmother letting us do that, so not sure.
    Count your blessings!

I had a whole chicken in the freezer that I thought I'd better cook. I stuffed it with stuffing, put some fresh carrots and onions in the pan, had my son over for dinner, and it was delicious. The next day, knowing that we would be getting more snow, I put all the leftovers, stuffing and all into the crock pot. Chopped up the meat, removed the bones, added a handful or so of my mothers home made noodles and ate that for lunch and supper for three days. Soup gives off a wonderful warm healthy feeling especially during the miserable winter months that don't seem to end.

I saw the kale chips recipe here, and made them just like livin's method. They are so good!

MRD

Love pea soup, but the family doesn't and I never see it in restaurants.
    THE soup in SC is she crab soup and it is served with a splash of sherry. Divine stuff.

Love Monte cristo sandwiches too and haven't had one in ages. Bennegins had one, but I think that chain is gone now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I posted in another thread about ordering food through Angel Food Ministries (thanks to a heads up from Hepcat! ), and I thought I'd come back and let everyone know about the food, since I picked it up today.

I ordered what they call their Bread of Life Box for myself and then split a veggie and fruit box with a friend. I got SO much food for just over $40. All of the meat is frozen - ground beef (2 lbs), boneless pork chops, boneless chicken breasts and some fish as well - as are the veggies in the BoL box - peas/carrots, green beans and corn. I figure I'll be making some soup with them. I also got fixings for chili, including the seasoning and the beans, boxes of biscuit and cookie mix, instant oatmeal, a dozen eggs, milk and a pasta entree. The produce box had lots of potatoes, onions, oranges and tangerines, kiwi fruit, pineapple, some grapefuit, a mango, apples, an avocado, some cabbage and, gosh, a few more things.

When we picked up the food, the volunteers also offered us a dozen day old sourdough rolls from Boudin's (a SF institution), as well as some items that others had not wanted from their boxes. My friend and I each got a dozen rolls, some more fruit and veg and another biscuit mix - all for free.

Anyway, if you aren't lucky enough to have a low-cost grocer in your area, I HIGHLY recommend Angel Food: Welcome - Angel Food Ministries There are sites all over the country and the prices are very good. Because I live alone, the meat and some of the other stuff will last me the whole month. I may have to buy some produce and dairy but, otherwise, I'm good. Their March menus are already on the website and available to order. I'll be ordering mine this week

What an amazing program! They have a great website too. They must be helping thousands of people, and I wonder how many don't even know its available for them. I can't believe that even exists, hats off to everyone who makes that program available!

MRD

Crit, I am SO glad it worked out so well for you. When we were doing SHARE (which I think is Angel Food now. But could be wrong, but SHARE was just like what Angel Food does), we got a lot of good stuff for not a lot of money and it helped out so much.

It's funny that I'm so used to facebook now, that I wanted to click "like" under your post. I have been waiting to hear if you liked what you got.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    What an amazing program! They have a great website too. They must be helping thousands of people, and I wonder how many don't even know its available for them. I can't believe that even exists, hats off to everyone who makes that program available!
    My friend and I commented about how few boxes were there waiting to be picked up and we went fairly early. There were maybe a dozen orders waiting on tables. It is a shame more people don't know about it. It helps the people buying the food and each church distributing the food makes a little money too. I'm trying to get the word out!

MRD - I don't know if it used to be SHARE or not. There are a few similar programs across the country, but Angel Food seems to be the most widespread. I also like that you don't have to fill out a bunch of forms or prove your need (although I could! ) to buy the food.

I'm not a big fan of processed food, so I like that most of the stuff in the box I bought (aside from the oatmeal and baking mixes) is produce and meat. I'm a bit troubled that some of the boxes for children have a lot of junk food like corn dogs and pizza and canned pasta, but I guess if you need food, you need food. Lucky for me, I'm not terribly picky, so I'll eat pretty much everything, even if it's not my first choice. I have friends who won't buy from Angel Food because there's too much in the boxes that they won't eat.

+ Reply to Thread