+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone ever had baked kale chips? Tell me about them!
    There are a few discussions about them in this thread, but the most recent one starts with post #2508
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Mmmmm, bean soup. Personally, I think it's impossible to mess it up unless you burn it. Bon appetit!
    I make bean soup a lot. It is hard to mess up. Spanish bean soup is another story.
    That may be my first soup disaster.

And what is wrong with people that don't like soup? My daughter just told me she hates it when I make soup and hubby eats it, but it's not his favorite thing. I was gobsmacked! I LOVE soup. Eating it and making it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I make bean soup a lot. It is hard to mess up. Spanish bean soup is another story.
    That may be my first soup disaster.

And what is wrong with people that don't like soup? My daughter just told me she hates it when I make soup and hubby eats it, but it's not his favorite thing. I was gobsmacked! I LOVE soup. Eating it and making it.
    I think soup is just about the perfect food. It's kind of thearapeutic to make it, too. The house fills with savory fragrance as it cooks and (in my house), everyone's anticipating how good it will be. My family always wants it, as long as there's some hot bread and butter to "dip" with it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Soup? Meh, I can do without it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love soup, but I don't want it to be too thin. It's got to have body!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I so agree. Soup isn't a meal without real substance. I don't make soups without plenty of protein and carbs.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I was working, and they had a pantry, they would lay in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, mainly for me....but really it was for anyone who wanted it. On the days when they would cook something that I couldn't/didn't eat, I'd heat up the soup, and then crumble crackers and add shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. I was as happy as a fat rat in a cheese factory!! Before long, people were stealing my idea!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, you have such a way with words!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I think soup is just about the perfect food. It's kind of thearapeutic to make it, too. The house fills with savory fragrance as it cooks and (in my house), everyone's anticipating how good it will be. My family always wants it, as long as there's some hot bread and butter to "dip" with it.
    Soup also provides a very important role in digestion. When soup is served before a main meal (an example, the French courses), when the soup is slowly consumed, signals are sent from the digestive system to the brain that it's being fed, gets those "juices flowing". Sounds a bit weird, but that tells the brain to digest that incoming food and it will cause you to eat less because it's told it's receiving nourishment. The flip side is sitting down to an entree and diving in, probably eating more than your body needs.

It's a fact (I don't have any specific links right at hand). The French know their food! And obesity is NOT a characteristic of the French, while the food is soooo yummy. I've heard it referred to as the soup "flirting with the appetite". Worth looking into.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When I was working, and they had a pantry, they would lay in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, mainly for me....but really it was for anyone who wanted it. On the days when they would cook something that I couldn't/didn't eat, I'd heat up the soup, and then crumble crackers and add shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. I was as happy as a fat rat in a cheese factory!! Before long, people were stealing my idea!!
    You are the only person that I've ever heard that actually ate cream of mushroom soup as a soup. I don't think I've ever eaten it as soup, but I sure do cook with it a lot!

I agree, soup is the perfect food and mine are usually very hearty. I love that I can make it without a recipe too. A little of this, a little of that, throw in some leftovers, whatever.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread