+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree380Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I prefer the olive oil (with or without a balsamic reduction swirled in) to a smear of butter. Especially a really good, fresh local oil! Color me spoiled; we have olive groves not far away, in Temecula, with some really good products coming out of them.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I just discovered a show I've never seen before on Cooking Channel. OMG, these two British ladies surely have a lot to teach us, but are they unique. I'm laughing because when it first came on, I wondered if it was a Monty Python skit!!!!!! Now they're singing, Check it out if you get a chance.

Two Fat Ladies : Cooking Channel
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I loved Two Fast Ladies when they were on the air in the 90s. Can't watch even the reruns now without being sad that Jennifer died.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4191039;
    I loved Two Fast Ladies when they were on the air in the 90s. Can't watch even the reruns now without being sad that Jennifer died.
    Well, in her memory, she brought a lot of smiles to me and to my friends tonight! (was she the one that smoked? my first time watching, I don't know)

I had so much fun watching this hour of two shows, how did I ever miss them? I guess I was busy with little kids and I really didn't watch much TV during that time.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Re Two Fat Ladies show, I read the history at Wikipedia, so yeah, the smoker died of lung cancer. Sad.

The silver lining in the cloud is that these two women have taught people and made them laugh, making a "real" connection. I am so impressed! And they can still.

Once I realized it was NOT a Monty Python skit and got into their cooking lessons, I imagined that Jennifer (the dark-haired one) represented an old Padma Lakshmi and Clarissa (the blonde one) represented an old Sandra Lee. (okay, I admit I'm jealous because they're both beautiful and skinny)

I was busy raising little ones, now I realize. I hate I missed them, but I'm grateful I can watch them now! Love them!
    Last edited by SugarMama; 02-12-2011 at 11:33 PM.

MRD

I LOVED the Two Fat ladies. Wish I could get the show again.

As for bread and oil, Americans associate oil as flavorless and greasy.
    But good olive and other oils are so full of flavor and are actually lite and not greasy.
    These oils used to be another way of food preservation.
    Whole foods has several oils you can try in the store. I now have several kinds and we love to dip bread in them. Heaven.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe a big part of my lack of being attracted to that combination is because I am not big off into bread?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Bread? OMG that's another problem of mine. I cannot have fresh bread in the house, I'll eat it. I don't mean regular sliced bread, but fresh loaves, whole wheat, olives and cheese bread, I can go on and on. I like the different unique types of breads, polish greek italian, focaccia, all of it!

My friend gave me a dozen farm fresh eggs, right from the chicken! I made two quiches, I just used my imagination. I had some crab meat I wanted to use up, whipped up the eggs, little milk, and added the chopped crab meat, and chopped arugula, topped it with shredded mozzarella and cheddar. This will make it easier during the week to have something nutritional along with a big side salad.

I also made a stew in the crock pot. I find if I cook a couple of meals on Sundays, I'll have decent suppers during the week.

I made this chicken recipe over the weekend and it was fabulous. The best roast chicken ever; moist and delicious.
    I did omit the thyme, though, as I didn't have any around. I also substituted red potatoes for the fennel.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4192600;
    I made this chicken recipe over the weekend and it was fabulous. The best roast chicken ever; moist and delicious.
    I did omit the thyme, though, as I didn't have any around. I also substituted red potatoes for the fennel.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
    I love Ina and her food! Her Chefography is also good, if you haven't watched it! I'll certainly give this recipe a try.

Here's another chicken recipe you might want to try someday. It's my all-time favorite, and I always get raves, and I now even use this same method cooking a turkey. While he doesn't get credit in this recipe, it's by Tyler Florence (one of my Top 5 Foodnetwork chefs!). I watched him do it when he had the show "How to Boil Water." I'd never had success making gravy, and watching him make this gave me confidence. I tried it, and it was awesome! While the recipe seems a bit complicated, it isn't really. Bon appetit!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...pe2/index.html

+ Reply to Thread