+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

My mother and grandmother served sliced tomatoes or cucumbers with vinegar and sugar. Anyone else? I'll take cucumbers in sour cream any day of the week.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My mom did cucumbers this way. Very thin slices marinated in white vinegar and sugar. A summer salad/side dish.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We always had cucumbers with white vinegar and sugar when I was growing up. Sometimes, my mom added onions to them.
    I've tasted cucumbers with sour cream, but have never liked them. Probably a good thing, as I like way too many things with sour cream.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I love a salad with cucumbers and creamy italian dressing. My mom sliced cucumbers and onions in diluted vinegar and salt and pepper. There is nothing better than the little petite sandwiches that have thinly sliced cucumbers and cream cheese. Some people use dill chopped in the cream cheese but I am not a big dill person.

A cucumber sliced with salt and pepper is plain good eating.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have a serious love for cottage cheese, with creamy cucumber dressing, and chunks of cucumber sliced into it. Add pepper and a teensy bit of salt to complete the dream! Slap-yo'-granny Good!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When I went to Italy two summers ago, one day for lunch, we had a fresh cucumber tomatoe salad, right from the garden, evoo, splash of balsamic, salt pepper and homegrown oregano. This was served with chunks of homemade pecorino cheese, a bowl of fresh beans sauteed in garlic and evoo, and crusty homemade bread. I love the simple life style of cooking with the basic ingrediants. It was the freshest tasting cuke/tomatoe salad I've ever had.

Cuke and tomato salads are my favorite in the summer. Prepared just like you said, with a little oil and vinegar. I usually put in a little fresh basil as well. Eating it with some crusty bread to soak up some of the oil when you're done is the best. I'm ready for the summer and the Farmer's market to open.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never understood the preference for soaking up oil with bread. That does not sound appetizing to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I could eat just the bread soaking in that oil vinegar dressing!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4190900;
    I've never understood the preference for soaking up oil with bread. That does not sound appetizing to me.
    Oh, if it's fresh, warm bread and light olive oil with herbs, it's one step shy of heaven
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread