+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree501Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4190120;
    All this talk about peas makes me think of my nephew. His little girl won't eat peas unless they mix them with applesauce!
    All this pea talk makes me remember, with great affection, our family dogs: Anna, Dusty, and Max. They ate every one of my peas and limas surreptitiously.

I loved them for a lot of other reasons, too.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4189937;
    Oprah said she ate so many beets that her urine turned red, and she thought she was bleeding to death! She called the doctor, all in a panic!
    I'm not a big beet fan, but at home my mom recently put them in a salad... it was not supposed to be that time of the month or anything so when I went to the bathroom, I was scared half to death, thanks to the beets!

As for roasted asparagus, I love it with lemon juice squeezed on top.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 02-11-2011 at 11:17 PM.

My mom always canned pickled beets and they were wonderful. We grew up on canned veggies from the garden and we loved them. We always looked forward to when the tomatoes got ripe so we could get us a salt shaker and go after them. I so miss my daddies big garden.

One of the first things we got out of it every year was radishes, fresh lettuce and green onions and we got to make a big ole salad. When I got older and married we all tried to see which kid got the first cucumber off the vine. Sometimes I did but usually my daughter beat me to it. Oh the good old days.......makes me nostalgic.

I love asparagus but have never been able to aquire a taste for eggplant. Love peas and pea salad.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4190201;
    ...I love asparagus but have never been able to aquire a taste for eggplant. Love peas and pea salad.
    Eggplant is so foreign to most of us. If it's not prepared properly (salted and allowed for some of the moisture to be removed), it's often slimey. Who wants to eat purple, slimey food?

Preparation is the key, just my experience.

Also regarding cucumber (my favorite summer treat) - we love to slice them and let them sit in vinegar with thin onion slices, served cold!

Of course, I can eat a whole pealed cucumber right out of the frig...but not around my husband unless I slice it or ... well ... um... he kinda ... you know
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4189928;
    Roasted beets are fabulous. But I love beets anyway.

I ate so much roasted asparagus that now, I can't eat it anymore.
    I think I've told you about this before, but I found a recipe for a roasted beet sandwich a while back that was fabulous! It's sliced roasted beets on whole grain bread with field greens and goat cheese. You cook it like a grilled cheese to get the beets and cheese warm and then add the field greens. YUM!

I didn't like beets growing up because my mom always served canned beets. When I was in college, my Russian professor introduced me to roasted beets and I was in love! I'd eat them every day only they're a little too rough on my digestive system. Once every few weeks is about all I can take, unfortunately

The list of veggies and legumes I won't eat is very short: Lima and fava beans (thanks, Anthony Hopkins), radishes....can't think of anything else I'm a pretty adventurous eater.

Gnomie - I never liked Brussels sprouts until the last year or so when I tried them with bacon. You slice up the sprouts and cook them in bacon grease on low heat until they caramelize and them toss in the chopped bacon before you eat. Even my uncle, who HATES them took two servings when I made them at Thanksgiving. He proclaimed them the least inedible Brussels sprouts he'd ever tasted! Now I fix them with olive oil, garlic and a little salt and pepper, but I think the bacon was the gateway. I could probably eat a shoe if you fried it up in bacon grease!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

As a kid I ate limas with ketchup in order to get them down.

Have had eggplant cooked several ways. It's the bitter taste I don't like. I love how they look. Just don't like to eat them.

Cukes and onions mixed with sour cream and some s&p is fab. Growing up we had then sliced with onions and tomatoes in white vinegar
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

nennie: you brought back memories for me too. Everything we ate was pretty much grown in the garden, or if it wasn't, it was purchased at the farm, cherries, peaches etc. Our fruit cellar was full of canned fruits and vegtables, not to mention home made sausages, prosciutto etc.

Eggplant is one of my favourites. Eggplant parm, stuffed eggplant, and most recently grilled. My mother used to pickle it, used in antipasto's or topped on sandwhiches, or ate along with cheese crusty bread, and roasted peppers. My brother in law and sister, have quite the garden, and still can a lot of different things. He even can's olives! Soooo good!

I still can tomatoes, but over the years, have stopped canning. Its becoming a dying art. Now a days, people buy homes with $30,000 kitchens, and eat out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4190219;
    The list of veggies and legumes I won't eat is very short: Lima and fava beans (thanks, Anthony Hopkins), radishes....can't think of anything else I'm a pretty adventurous eater.
    I never liked radishes until I tried frying them. Just slice them up and cook them in a frying pan with some oil, onions, s&p. They taste so much like fried potatoes when you do this. A great option for low carbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4190219;
    Gnomie - I never liked Brussels sprouts until the last year or so when I tried them with bacon. You slice up the sprouts and cook them in bacon grease on low heat until they caramelize and them toss in the chopped bacon before you eat. Even my uncle, who HATES them took two servings when I made them at Thanksgiving. He proclaimed them the least inedible Brussels sprouts he'd ever tasted! Now I fix them with olive oil, garlic and a little salt and pepper, but I think the bacon was the gateway. I could probably eat a shoe if you fried it up in bacon grease!
    I had someone tell me a similar recipe for Brussels sprouts and said they were fabulous this way. I still haven't tried it. I should try this sometime. I tried roasting them with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. I'm sure I'll find them prepared some way I like them at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts;4190342;
    I never liked radishes until I tried frying them. Just slice them up and cook them in a frying pan with some oil, onions, s&p. They taste so much like fried potatoes when you do this. A great option for low carbers.
    I have never heard of frying radishes...can't wait to try it! Thanks!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread