+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I remember swallowing each pea WHOLE when I was a kid...before I learned to like peas! I'd sit there, looking miserable, and you'd hear this big "GULP"...and then the huffing and puffing of the strain (gotta throw the drama in there, you know!). I couldn't stand the squishy innards! Now, I love them!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4188407;
    I remember swallowing each pea WHOLE when I was a kid...before I learned to like peas! I'd sit there, looking miserable, and you'd hear this big "GULP"...and then the huffing and puffing of the strain (gotta throw the drama in there, you know!). I couldn't stand the squishy innards! Now, I love them!
    I would put a large spoonful of peas in my mouth and swallow them like pills with a huge gulp of milk. Even the smell made me gag. When I married mr. veejer, I had no idea that peas were one of his favorite vegetables. At least I got over the gagging, but I still don't like them. Except for frozen in salads.

Our daughter loves peas, but not our son. His tastes are freakily like mine.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Wow, that's surprising.
    I always thought of peas as fairly benign vegetables with little taste.
    On the other hand, I always disliked lima beans and would slavishly pick them out of the vegetable soup my mother gave me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I hated peas (and lima beans) as a kid. But we had a dog I could slip them to. Today, I only like peas in pea soup or in a pasta dish with a cream sauce.

I still gag on limas.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I always mixed my peas with the smashed taters. Now I don't mind them at all.

I love peas, one of my favourite dishes my mother used to make, sauteed garlic and olive oil, toss in mushrooms and peas. That's it!

I'm still not a fan of peas -- unless they're picked fresh and eaten raw off the plant (I love 'em that way, but not any other. Yeah, I'm weird.)
    And I LOVE lima beans. Butter beans. Fava beans.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I would drink a big gulp of water with each individual pea. With all of that water on board, I never got very far. Now days, I will look for reasons to add peas to whatever, and will always use more than a recipe calls for.

My country-cooking superstar of a friend cooked some lima beans for me that were to die for!!! I won't cook them myself, but I will eat them when they are in a dish that I'm eating. She told me that I just hadn't had them prepared "right", and she was right!

I think just love legumes...period.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I guess I was a weird kid. I not only liked peas, I also liked carrots and broccoli . Still do, and like almost all beans except chickpeas. And I still hate asparagus, beets, rutabagas, eggplants, and avacado.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Frozen peas are great. And they are sweet tasting. I do NOT eat canned ones. Talk about nasty and mushy too. I'm not a fan of fresh ones as I've never been able to cook fresh ones worth a darn.

I will have to find the pea salad recipe I have, has hard boiled egg in it too.

Hey, I'm willing to host a hen (and Rooster Party) up this way. The mountains are not far, maybe 30 minutes. OR we could do it right here in Greenville and take advantage of our GREAT downtown. I think it would be fun. Have to find who has trivia. The only place I know for sure does it on Tuesday nights.
    And we could have one evening at my house and BBQ, have fire in the firepit, etc.

Let's do it!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread