+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 469 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Which is precisely why I usually make a large sheet cake and we just ice it in the pan and cut pieces as needed. I always screw up cakes when I make layers or tiers.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Most of my kitchen disasters involve cakes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amazon is having a really great sale on kitchen and home products. Some of the prices are insane - like $29.99 for a $168 Calphalon pan. Just in case anyone is interested:
    Kitchen & Home 48-Hour Sale
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for that link! I just grabbed a set of Chicago Bakeware at an excellent price, they must have known I needed a new jellyroll and muffin pan.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Why are there always sales like these, when I really am pinching pennies?

So hubby is cooking. He wants roast. A "roasted" roast and not a crockpot roast. He's tired of the crockpot variety. He knows that I have a rough time with meat which is why I use the crockpot a lot because they end up very tender (that and its so easy) and that I don't eat a lot of steaks, roasts, chops, etc. because of the difficulty I have with them.

Anyway, he is cooking, so I shouldn't complain and he hasn't totally trashed the kitchen. Yet, anyway. And it smells pretty good too.

But now that my back is better and the new house is mostly unpacked, the food is going to change. He's done a lot of the cooking lately and it's always stuff I can't eat. I realize that there are things he likes to eat that I can't and things I like that he doesn't, but I've been getting the short end of the stick. For instance, on Fri., I had mashed potatos and corn for dinner because I couldn't eat the porkchops.

I really shouldn't complain I guess because he DOES cook. So I'll shut up now.

MRD

OK, hubby did cook (and I was thankful). But he used the digital meat therm. to gauge when the roast was done. But he used Celsius by mistake and so we had shoeleather. Well, I said I have a hard time with meat and meat like this is impossible for me. And so therefore, I decided to just eat the roast veggies. Did you know that overcooked potato and carrot chunks turn into rubber? I didn't either.

He is off cooking duty for now.

Oh Rosie, I know that's not funny but it made me giggle. My mom came from a British background so I learned early how to roast beef in the oven. We like it very rare so 15-20 minutes a pound at a fairly low heat (325-350) is plenty for us. I'm sorry it turned out like a hockey puck. You can always grind it up and make Shepard's Pie.

MRD

He usually does pretty well in the kitchen, so this was unusual for him and I wasn't home, so I couldn't check up on him.

I do a pretty mean roast myself. But we haven't been having them and this was what he was hungry for. Maybe it's out of his system now.

Now that my kitchen is fully usuable, I need to sit down with my cookbooks and find some fare for cooler weather. I made chili so much last year that no one wants it this year.

Could somebody please try the carnitas recipe I posted over in just recipes? Here it is again. This was sooo easy the the pork was very good.

I made these today. First time making carnitas and oh my gosh they were slap your granny good! I think it is more in the technique of how you cook the pork. I didn't have orange juice so I added a can of salsa verde. If you do make these read the whole blog entry and as usual some great photos.

Homesick Texan: Carnitas, Houston style

Carnitas (adapted from Diana Kennedy)
    Ingredients:
    3 pounds of pork butt
    1 cup of orange juice
    3 cups of water
    2 teaspoons of salt

Method:
    1. Cut pork into strips (three inches by one inch), bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered on low for 2 hours. Do not touch the meat.
    2. After two hours, turn heat up to medium high, and continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat has rendered (about 45 minutes). Stir a few times, to keep pork from sticking to bottom of pan.
    3. When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready (there will be liquid fat in the pan). Serve either cubed or shredded (pork will be tender enough that just touching it will cause it to fall apart).
    Goes very well with a green salsas such as Ninfa's green sauce or this tomatillo salsa or this salsa verde with avocados and tomatillos.
    Serves 4-6
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

So this AM I made spelt muffins. Never having used spelt before I was a little hesitant, but I'm looking for some different types of wheat that will store longer and also have good health benefits. The spelt I got was from Bob's Red Mill and the expire date is 2 years. The muffins were wonderful and the entire family liked them too..always a plus.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread