+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4183271;
    Mrs. Dash will never replace salt, IMO.
    Tastewise, that's personal opinion...but Mrs. Dash has 0 sodium...and that's what's important with hypertension.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I use very small amounts of salt when I cook (usually a grind or two of sea salt). Otherwise, I use a variety of spices...garlic and onion powder, cardamom, cumin, thyme, oregano, chili pepper (I have a wide variety), paprika (Hungarian and sweet), turmeric...my spice cabinet is full :-)

The toughest part of a no/low-sodium diet are things like canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, whole) and beans (for chili and soups). I've bought the low-sodium versions, but they're just so expensive when compared to the regular. (That's assuming that I can actually find them.)

Have any of you tried Almond butter? Oh my goodness. My old standby sandwich of peanut butter on whole wheat just got replaced.
    I'm sure it can't be good for me since it taste so good.
    What is the saying? If it taste good spit it out.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;4182462;
    What is the difference between gumbo and jambalaya? I use a recipe for jambalaya that has shrimp,chicken, and andouille in it. (along w/tomato,celery,onion, gn.pepper) served over rice. But the gumbos I've looked at pretty much have the same thing.
    Jambalya is "fast food" compared to gumbo. It's a thick mix of meats (or fish/shrimp/veggies what-have-you) served over rice. It's one of my family's all-time faves. You don't do a roux for its base.

Gumbo requires making a dark roux, which takes quite a while (I do mine an hour), stirring the whole time. Burn it, and you have to start over. The result is more soup/stew like than Jambalaya, even though the ingredients and spices may be the same or quite similar. Also, with gumbo you need to use okra with, or file powder at the end, for thickening.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For my grandfather's 100th birthday, we had a true Creole chef come up from New Orleans (where my grandfather was born and raised) and he made authentic gumbo. It was fabulous!!! And he was the cutest little old man!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4184814;
    Jambalya is "fast food" compared to gumbo. It's a thick mix of meats (or fish/shrimp/veggies what-have-you) served over rice. It's one of my family's all-time faves. You don't do a roux for its base.

Gumbo requires making a dark roux, which takes quite a while (I do mine an hour), stirring the whole time. Burn it, and you have to start over. The result is more soup/stew like than Jambalaya, even though the ingredients and spices may be the same or quite similar. Also, with gumbo you need to use okra with, or file powder at the end, for thickening.
    Was just going to post this. Gumbo has okra. And whether you like okra or not, in Gumbo you'll like it. :-)

Made the chicken the other night and it was fabulous. Was a sort of picatta with bone in thighs. Used capers, mushrooms and topped with bacon. Cooked in chicken broth, white wine and lemon juice. My husband ate 3 pieces!!!

Tonight we are having brined pork chops with sauted apples and creamed peas.

I don't know why, but I am on a "creamed" kick. Creamed potatos, creamed peas, creamed corn. Heck, I even would eat creamed pearl onions.

UNK, that site you linked us too the other day? Got the brined pork chop recipe from there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4184814;

Exactly! And in case someone doesn't know, "file" is pronounced fee-lay, it's actually powdered sassafrass leaves. (I love both gumbo and jambalaya, but I must omit shrimp because I'm allergic to it )
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

O.M.G., mrd. I wanna come for dinner at your house.!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4184840;
    For my grandfather's 100th birthday, we had a true Creole chef come up from New Orleans (where my grandfather was born and raised) and he made authentic gumbo. It was fabulous!!! And he was the cutest little old man!
    Happy belated 100th b-day to your granddad! It sounds like you all had a wonderful Creole supper!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4183925;
    Tastewise, that's personal opinion...but Mrs. Dash has 0 sodium...and that's what's important with hypertension.
    There are very few things I add salt to. What comes to mind is gravy (totally bland without a little salt) and a teaspoon of sea salt to the water I boil pasta in. That's it, pretty much. As far as I'm concerned, salt is not an ingredient as much as a condiment. Something to be added by the person eating what I've prepared.

Meats and fish have plenty of salt in them inherently. I guess vegetarian dishes might need a bit of oomph, but there are lots of alternatives for that other than salt.

+ Reply to Thread