+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

We're making our favorite Super Bowl recipe: Italian Sausage Rolls Recipe : : Food Network
    (But we tweak it to make it a bit more healthy...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Aside from the snack platters we picked up at Trader Joe's, we're having dark-roux gumbo (with chicken, tasso, andouille, and shrimp) that took hours to make. Over long grain rice. And cornbread, of course.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4182124;
    Aside from the snack platters we picked up at Trader Joe's, we're having dark-roux gumbo (with chicken, tasso, andouille, and shrimp) that took hours to make. Over long grain rice. And cornbread, of course.
    Yummy ........love gumbo.

What is the difference between gumbo and jambalaya? I use a recipe for jambalaya that has shrimp,chicken, and andouille in it. (along w/tomato,celery,onion, gn.pepper) served over rice. But the gumbos I've looked at pretty much have the same thing.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Mrs. Dash - my best friend :-)

I have high blood pressure, and my husband has recently begun to have elevated bp himself. I've been using Mrs. Dash instead of salt in a lot of recipes since I was diagnosed a few years ago, and I wonder how you use it, if you do.

When I bake chicken or turkey, I add it to the cavity instead of salt, when I rotissarie chicken I smother it with Mrs. Dash, when I do chicken pies and some casseroles, ditto. I add it to plain rice. For quickie sides, we often use those Uncle Ben's 90-second rice packets, and I always add Mrs. Dash.

My youngest son (the clown) asked me how to fix his favorite rice one day. Going through the directions I said, "First we mash it, then we tear it, then we nuke it, then we let Mrs. Dash do the rest!" He loves saying that with his "evil" voice. Bwahahahahaha!

I'd love to hear of other ideas since it's a great way to reduce sodium in one's diet and add a lot of flavor! Thanks
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Mrs. Dash will never replace salt, IMO.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;4182462;
    What is the difference between gumbo and jambalaya? I use a recipe for jambalaya that has shrimp,chicken, and andouille in it. (along w/tomato,celery,onion, gn.pepper) served over rice. But the gumbos I've looked at pretty much have the same thing.
    Gumbo is a soupy dish served with rice and filet and jumbalaya is a rice mixture dish with a tomato base. They both can have the chicken and sausage but a lot of people use crab and other seafood in gumbo. I like shrimp in my jumbalaya.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yesterday, I learned that caloriewise, pork bacon and turkey bacon are equal at 70 calories/slice. I also learned that turkey bacon has a higher sodium count than pork bacon. Flavorwise, I think pork bacon beats the pants off turkey bacon. Later for the turkey bacon!

I usually eat beef bacon, though. I do know that it has 35 calories/slice.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4183380;
    Yesterday, I learned that caloriewise, pork bacon and turkey bacon are equal at 70 calories/slice. I also learned that turkey bacon has a higher sodium count than pork bacon. Flavorwise, I think pork bacon beats the pants off turkey bacon. Later for the turkey bacon!

I usually eat beef bacon, though. I do know that it has 35 calories/slice.
    According to livestrong.com the nutrition facts for turkey bacon are as follows:
    Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 strip
    Amount per Serving

* Calories 35 Calories from Fat 25

% Daily Value *

* Total Fat 3g 5%
    * Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    * Trans Fat 0g
    * Cholesterol 15mg 5%
    * Sodium 190mg 8%
    * Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
    * Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    * Protein 2g 4%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 77.1% Carbs 11.4%
    Protein 22.9%

Read more: Calories in Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives | LIVESTRONG.COM

For pork bacon:
    Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Slice
    Amount per Serving

* Calories 70 Calories from Fat 45

% Daily Value *

* Total Fat 5g 8%
    * Saturated Fat 2g 10%
    * Cholesterol 15mg 5%
    * Sodium 220mg 9%
    * Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    * Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    * Protein 5g 10%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 64.3% Carbs 0.0%
    Protein 28.6%

Read more: Calories in Oscar Mayer Bacon Real Slices - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives | LIVESTRONG.COM

Everything I have ever seen shows turkey bacon with less sodium and less fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4183478;
    ...Everything I have ever seen shows turkey bacon with less sodium and less fat.
    Same here, Unk!
    Plus, I don't get the icky fatty mouthfeel with turkey bacon.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread