+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Climate, soil type, humidity levels, water and...sometimes plain old LUCK!

I've had a bad couple of days and started craving rice pudding this afternoon. I looked up a recipe online and made it when I got home. I've never had it fresh and warm. Oh my.
    Count your blessings!

Keeping the Great Chili Debate alive.

What’s in your chili? A Foodily Infographic | Foodily Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4179648;
    I've had a bad couple of days and started craving rice pudding this afternoon. I looked up a recipe online and made it when I got home. I've never had it fresh and warm. Oh my.
    Did you have to put this here? I know what I'll have tomorrow--along with the "yearly steak" They had 2 BEAUTIFUL, thick ribeyes marked down to 8$ (!), so Valentine's day is coming early here, this WE. I very, very rarely eat any red meat and when I do it's venison; I barely remember beef and I'm excited.

UNK...I love the "comment" on the page that says, "None of the recipes here even mention a spicy ingredient" or something to that effect. I can imagine the Pace cowboys saying "That blog's from NOO YORK CITY!!"
    Last edited by queenb; 02-04-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4179100;
    Wow. Thyme grows like a weed here, but basil seems to get buggy very easily. Mint is hard to kill, and I am forever pulling it out to keep it from taking over. I wish I could grow basil, so there you go. I wonder what is up with thyme in your neck of the woods? I always thought it was amazingly hardy. It comes back every spring no matter how cold the winter.
    Mint is invasive. If you ever get it all out ;-) and want to start over, put a pot in the ground, and plant it in the pot. (Or just plant it in a regular pot...I usually put it in a hanging planter so that it can go to town without taking over.)

I plant my basil in between my tomatoes. I don't usually have a problem with bugs, but I doubt it's because I actually did anything to prevent it...most likely, it's just dumb luck somehow.

No mint is NOT invasive! I am just very good at growing it...haha. I will take my gardening victories wherever possible, tyvm.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

It won't grow for me either. There's some little beastie that lives near me that eats it all up until it's just stems. I love mint, but two summers of eaten plants was enough for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I was out of tomato sauce last time I made chili and used a can of tomato soup and everyone RAVED that it was so good what did I do differently. So guessing that tomato soup is going in the chili from now on.

Making a special dinner tonight, I have chicken thighs thawing out (they are taking forever).
    Was thinking of doing piccata or scallopine. Sort of, I can't make them thin or into cutlets.
    Any other ideas maybe? I seem to be fresh out of ideas.
    Thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4180613;
    I was out of tomato sauce last time I made chili and used a can of tomato soup and everyone RAVED that it was so good what did I do differently. So guessing that tomato soup is going in the chili from now on.

Making a special dinner tonight, I have chicken thighs thawing out (they are taking forever).
    Was thinking of doing piccata or scallopine. Sort of, I can't make them thin or into cutlets.
    Any other ideas maybe? I seem to be fresh out of ideas.
    Thanks.
    Oh gosh, I wish I'd read this earlier...just yesterday I tried a new crock pot recipe just for chicken thighs, and my family loved it! Will try to post it in the crockpot thread for future reference. Darn, and it only takes 4 hours!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I have chicken soup, curried coconut chicken with rice, and chicken salad that all needs to be eaten, but I found an avocado that I thought was going bad, so for supper just now I cut it open and it was PERFECTLY ripe. I spread it on a couple of slices of multigrain bread that was baked today at the bakery with seeds and oats in it. OMG! You couldn't have made a better meal with 20 ingredients and an hour of prep. I want to go back in time and eat it again.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread