+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4177844;
    I'd definitely try vegetarian chili. I just love chili...period!
    Give the recipe I put under Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes a try - my family loves it, and they are meat-lovers!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Okay foodies, have you heard about this site? Find recipes online *|* Foodily *|* Food, I love you It's been called the Facebook of food.

"What do you want to eat?"

It's one of the most common questions we ask every day. But while the foodie media answers this on television, on the web and in blogs, the ever-growing world of social media has yet to tap in to foodie market.

Enter Foodily, a sleek and comprehensive recipe and ingredient search engine with impressive social integration. The startup, which was founded by two former Yahoo! employees, aggregates millions of recipes from all over the web. In comparison, other leading recipe sites like AllRecipes.com, index about 50,000.

When searching for an ingredient or dish on Foodily, your results are displayed in a cool, sideways-scrolling interface that shows a photo of the dish, the recipe and where it came from (recipes are sourced from commercial sites like Epicurious and from popular food blogs, a special addition that other recipe aggregators lack).

The real triumph here is that the search engine can be as broad or as narrow as you want. Don't like the taste of cilantro? Search for tacos without them. Don't have cumin in your spice rack? You can hide all recipes that include cumin and keep searching for that perfect taco 'til your heart's content.

Super search capabilities aside, Foodily is getting all the buzz for its deep Facebook integration, and rightfully so. After all, eating, like Facebook, is quite a social experience. If you're logged in to Facebook, you'll see the recipes your friends like. And if you favorite a recipe, it will show up that you've "liked" it on Facebook. Foodily also lets you plan a meal, create a menu and invite friends to join you via Facebook, a feature that's bound to be useful for planning potlucks or holidays.

While other sites like Yelp, Groupon and Grubwithus all touch on elements of foodie networking, Foodily is the first food site to truly go social. And with its plans to stay ad-free by using coupons that are paired with search results as a revenue source, we're even more compelled to dig in.

Read more: Foodie Startup Dubbed ‘The Facebook of Food’ - Techland - TIME.com

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds really interesting!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

A friend of mine just pointed me to yummily.com. It's similar to Foodily, but has more features...lets you look for recipes both with and without ingredients, by nutrition/diet/allergies/calories, and by taste, cuisine, time and price, and more. Each entry only shows the main ingrdients, but it also gives you a high-level look at the taste ranges (salty, sweet, savory, sour, bitter), calories, total time, and type of course.

I absolultely LOVE to cook and create dishes what makes one think in the moment they taste it, "If, God forbid, I'm ever condemned, let this be my last meal!

Of course, I've yet to rise to that level of expectation But I'm always trying.

Question: Do you grow your own herbs? Outdoors or Indoors?

I have a small outdoor garden with perrenial thyme, oregano, and parsley (sometimes I have to replant the parsley if we have a hard winter). I grow basil like crazy all summer!

But I have absolutely NO LUCK in growing anything indoors. I've tried it all, and I don't know if I'm just messing it up or if some things are just meant to be enjoyed in their own time (kinda like us )

Anyone have any tips for growing fresh herbs indoors? That makes ALL the difference in cooking, and there's only one recipe I agree dried thyme works in (that Vegan Chili recipe I posted in the other thread).

I asked for, and my husband said he "might" consider making me, a small greenhouse...but that's so impractical, and such an unjustified expense for my own vanity! There's nowhere we can really install a "greenhouse window". Our house faces due east, the southern part is shaded, and the westerly side is shadowed by a hill (nice to keep up cool in summer, though).

So, in winter I wind up going to the grocery store, paying the price of a whole summer's crop for a little packet of some herb that will go bad in a week or so. And (eww) I don't know where it's been, unlike the stuff from my own garden.

Question: How do you handle your herbs? Do you have a successful garden layout you can share with storage tips, and/or growing indoor tips? I've read the books, but I must be missing something.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Do you harvest your herbs from your outdoor garden for use in the winter? Yes, they'll be dried, but they're still good :-) (And their yours, and you don't have to pay a fortune for them!)

I keep old spice jars around for just that purpose...I cut the herbs and lay them out on cookie sheets (single layer) and pop them in the oven for a couple of days. (If they're really wet, I turn the oven on to its lowest temp, let it preheat, turn it off, and then pop the trays in. But keep an eye on them if you do this so that they dry, not cook.)

And then I chop them and put them in jars.

Basil...I get a ton, too :-) I make and freeze pesto to use some of it. I also put basic with just a little bit of oil into the food processor and freeze basil cubes...if I need basil when I'm cooking, I'm almost always also using oil, so I can drop a cube in. I've also kept a jar of basil oil in the fridge (in this case, chopped basil and more oil than when I'm freezing cubes.)

I don't have any luck with indoor herbs. I only have one window (faces northwest) with a ledge...and the cat likes to get up there ;-) What few windows I have left (I live in a 1905 Colonial) only have regular window ledges and no place to set up a table for plants.

Good luck!

What about grow lights? I knew somebody who got busted for growing a huge crop of pot in his basement with grow lights. If hubby is handy, ask him to set you up a long table somewhere with grow lights suspended over and garden to your heart's content.
    Count your blessings!

I've never had any luck growing inside. or even growing thyme outside. I can grow basil and mint!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Wow. Thyme grows like a weed here, but basil seems to get buggy very easily. Mint is hard to kill, and I am forever pulling it out to keep it from taking over. I wish I could grow basil, so there you go. I wonder what is up with thyme in your neck of the woods? I always thought it was amazingly hardy. It comes back every spring no matter how cold the winter.

SugarMama, you might try asking your question in the Gardening thread in General Discussion. I'll go bump it.

I've never tried growing herbs inside, but thought about it!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread