+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I wouldn't think you'd need to parboil the spinach, GA. It cooks in about a minute or two, max. When I do it, I saute a little garlic in olive oil then throw in a huge bunch of spinach and put the lid on the pan. In just a few minutes, the spinach is done. Sometimes I toss in a shake of balsamic, although it doesn't need it.

Many times when I make a pasta dish, I put it over a bed of sauteed spinach. I also toss it into pasta sauce, eggs and everything else, practically! It's a great way to get nutrients. If I add just a bit into meals that way, it lasts a lot longer. It seems like a giant bag of fresh spinach makes about a cup when it's cooked!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I know most of you are much better cooks than I, but has anyone used the microwave steaming bags for veggies? They come in a box like freezer bags. You wash off the veggies and the water on them is enough to steam them. It only takes a few minutes (the time is on the box for different veggies) and you have fresh, steamed veggies with no mess, no fat. I need to get another box, because it's such a great alternative (especially if you're a lazy cook like me).
    Count your blessings!

I don't use them 'cause I was raised in a major recycling house. Can't use anything disposable like that. If I do, I hear my mother's voice in my head!

What I do use and LOVE is the 1 quart micro cooker from Pampered Chef. It's a black plastic (although not flimsy) sauce pan with a vented lid. The lid has a handle that locks into the "pot" so you can drain any water out. Washes up really quickly. I think I paid less than $10 for mine (maybe $6) about ten years ago. I use it almost every day. I know people who heat up soups and other things in theirs, but I just use mine to steam veggies. They make a bigger one, but I just like my little one.

Okay, I just went and looked it up on the PC website and it's now $8: Small Micro-Cooker(R) | Buy Quality Kitchenware at PamperedChef.com WAY cheaper than a few bags of those steamer bags.

Okay, off my soap boax now
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks Critical.

Gut: I use the very same thing Critical is talking about. That is just the greatest little thing. Its perfect for steaming or reheating. Its great for the quick cooking Uncle Bens rice, (that's not the name, can't think of it but you know what I mean)

I'm not crazy about the veggies/bags. I think I may have tried it once, but it tastes to plastic for me. I'd rather drop veggies in boiling water for a few minutes, tastes fresher, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4173019;
    I'm not crazy about the veggies/bags. I think I may have tried it once, but it tastes to plastic for me. I'd rather drop veggies in boiling water for a few minutes, tastes fresher, IMO.
    I use a little steamer basket for veggies...it collapses on itself and doesn't take up much room in the drawer, and it expands to fit everything from my small 4" saucepan to my RevereWare Dutch Oven. It has a little metal loop at the top of the center pole...I just grab it with a fork and then dump the veggies in a bowl (or, if I'm making something like glazed carrots, right into the next pan).

Got a pot of beans on some chili I had frozen gonna mix them together later for a good hot meal for the blizzard we are getting.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do you not normally put beans in your chili, or is this in addition to the beans already in the chili? I know there are different schools of thought on beans in chili. Personally, I cannot imagine/enjoy chili with no beans!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4174892;
    Do you not normally put beans in your chili, or is this in addition to the beans already in the chili? I know there are different schools of thought on beans in chili. Personally, I cannot imagine/enjoy chili with no beans!
    For me, beans are necessary; meat is optional.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I normally don't put beans in my chili. I am not a big bean fan but thought today it sounded good together. Another reason I don't put beans is the kids don't like them but they do like chili.

I just enjoyed a bowl with some fritos. For some reason it tasted really good today.

I'm a no-beaner chili person. I'll eat it with beans, but make mine without. You know that beans/no beans in chili is one of the great arguments in food-dom, don't you?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread