+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Some of our chicken recipes are as good at room temp as they are warm-- do you have any recipes for which that is the case (I don't think your husband would like the ones I'm thinking of)?

If you find foods that don't need to be reheated, this could actually be a help to you in your quest to eat more healthily-- if you cook a few days' worth of food for the men, even if you have some the first night, you could then have something healthier on the other two and not be cooking two meals.

If it's not an outdoor job, is there a refrigerator for the employees?
    If not, on my old job we had several people who wouldn't use the company refrigerators for whatever reason. I would cringe when I saw them bring actual meals that I figured were potential food poison factories, but there are lots of things in can that would do fine. Send a hand operated can opener with him, and a can of roast beef, chicken, or whatever else you see in that department. Cheese and crackers or bread, or even the vacuum packed rice or stew dishes if he'll eat those.

Also, I used an insulated lunch bag that only cost a couple of bucks and it worked as well as a Thermos for keeping things hot or cold if I wrapped it in a jacket or sweatshirt. You can also buy those hot gel packs that will keep food warm even longer, and they are cheap. I'd be afraid to get too fancy with the food, but that's because I HAVE been food poisoned by room temperature meat before and never, ever want to do that again.
    You might even try the old-timer's trick of putting a brick in the oven, then pack it with the lunch wrapped in a towel (just don't let anyone else see it, or he will never hear the end.

And I'm being a nosy B again, but why couldn't your daughter prepare something for those who won't eat the same things, after you two eat? I assume she is planning to eventually move out, so this might be a great time for her to get some guidance about cooking, while you sit on your butt after cooking the other meal.

If all else fails, you MIGHT have a friend who MIGHT be willing to make you an insulated lunch bag if it can wait until next week. That friend can't guess how big it needs to be, though, and might have lost your address.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

No access to refrigerator or microwave. He is on construction sites. Most cases, they can't even wash their hands.

Lucy does cook quite a bit. It's just that with everyone on such different schedules it is really hard to plan meals that will hold or be able to be packed up. I've been doing most of the cooking as I am the only one with doesn't work and go to school. She mostly cooks on weekends.

We've got a nice insulated bag. The problem isn't so much lunch, that can be done with sandwiches, but he will be going from one job at 5 pm to the other job, so he needs some sort of quick and easier dinner he can eat.

Like the ideas about the brick. I was semi-serious in thinking of things that could wrapped in foil and heated on the manifold.

He doesn't want to eat when he gets home at 11 or so as then he won't be able to sleep right away.

It's a pain in the butt to cook food for everyone who are all on different schedules. The crockpot as come in handy for that, but we then run into how to keep that food hot the next day for his dinner. He won't be coming home between jobs.

ARGH! I can't even wrap my mind around this problem today. Daughter and I were actually kind of excited that we could make some stuff for us that they don't like and then they could have leftovers or something.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4160027;
    I came back to say I made the kale with EVOO in the oven, sorry I can't find the original poster who suggested it, or if it was in this thread? but it was fabulous! It was like eating potatoe chips!

I will be making this more often.
    I'll take a little credit too. I actually got my kids to enjoy it. And kale is considered one of the nutritional powerhouses of food (well according to prevention)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;4161709;
    I'll take a little credit too. I actually got my kids to enjoy it. And kale is considered one of the nutritional powerhouses of food (well according to prevention)
    According to Real Simple, too. Its latest issue (in print and online) has a recipe for a kale-apple smoothie. First impression upon hearing it sounds horrid, but I'll bet it's good.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4160768;
    Like the ideas about the brick. I was semi-serious in thinking of things that could wrapped in foil and heated on the manifold.
    Oh, I was only half kidding. There are actual cookbooks devoted to cooking on the motor, too. But you know, I bet a QT or other store wouldn't mind him using the microwave if he bought a drink or something there. Maybe he can find one between his jobs.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4162177;
    According to Real Simple, too. Its latest issue (in print and online) has a recipe for a kale-apple smoothie. First impression upon hearing it sounds horrid, but I'll bet it's good.
    Believe it or not, it is good. My daughter is juicing and I tried one of hers and despite the color, it was actually really good. The apple makes it sweet.

Queenb, that's a good idea about the store microwave. I sent him off today with several bologna sandwiches. Not idea, but what we had in the house. Can't go to the grocery until later in the week. Hm, will have to google motor cooking. There is a cookbook for cooking with a drip coffee maker too. I swear some people are so creative. But I guess it's true: Necessity is the mother of invention.

The brick thing is something I can remember my grandmother doing when I was a very small child. Hey, it works! :-)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, I don't know if your husband would like this, but how about some homemade trail mix? Nuts and dried fruit can stay at room temperature, and are very filling. You could add a few M&Ms to make it a treat.

(How embarrassing that I had to google "temperature" for spelling, I wasn't even close the first time)

My husband and I were at Carrabbas the other night, and enjoyed (as always) the sauteed spinach. He asked why I'd never made it, so I tried it yesterday. Yay! He said mine was as good as if not better than theirs! So easy adn took about 5 minutes, at my age I have to wonder why I'd never even tried it before.

10 oz baby spinach, 4 garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, fresly grated Parm Reg on top...healthful and heavenly!

Anyone else have a recommended sauteed spinach recipe different from this?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Sugar: That is what my Mom used to make, and still does, as a kid growing up, but with rappini. You put the rappini in boiling water until tender, squeeze out the water, and saute it just as you mentioned above. Did you par boil the spinach? I actually do that with alot of veggies, string beans, mushrooms and peas just to name a few. My NYR is to eat more greens, this method has been used in my family for years so its nice to eat familiar foods rather then having it just during holidays or special occasions.

I love love love Carrabbas!

+ Reply to Thread