+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;4155249;
    we call it egg in a hole. Basic, descriptive, and not creative at all....but very yummy and quick.
    We did/do too. The best part was the circle of bread, buttered and browned in the skillet. No runny yolk for me.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with vegetables and onion gravy.

Toad In The Hole (recipe)

Sounds good!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I remember, way back in the stone age when I was in high school, in home-ec class we all had to make a different egg dish. Mine was Egg in a Basket. It's been one of my favorites ever since. But I don't think I've ever heard it called Toad in a Hole. (that sounds kind of nasty!)
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I wouldn't care what you called it as long as it tasted good!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I took the leftover Tagine to school yesterday for lunch (lamb, stewed fruits, spices). 2 periods later I had to put a student in charge and rush to the bathroom. I guess those stewed fruits got me!
    Count your blessings!

My daughter goes back to college today, so I got to choose my last dinner. I chose freshly made pasta primavera. OMG it was so good.
    Count your blessings!

Gut: My mouth is watering after reading your posts! Yum!

French toast is something I make often, and more so for dinner. Like mrd stated, I don't like it sweet either. I'll have a side of syrup for dipping. I seldom order it for breakfast, if I did I would specifically have to say no butter, no powered sugar just the french toast.

I came back to say I made the kale with EVOO in the oven, sorry I can't find the original poster who suggested it, or if it was in this thread? but it was fabulous! It was like eating potatoe chips!

I will be making this more often.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4160027;
    I came back to say I made the kale with EVOO in the oven, sorry I can't find the original poster who suggested it, or if it was in this thread? but it was fabulous! It was like eating potatoe chips!

I will be making this more often.
    It might have been I; I was one of them. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it! It's quickly become a favorite in our home.

(And we're reaping the benefits of this, and other aspects of healthy eating and shunning processed foods: among other measurable results, at over age 50, we have excellent lipid panels *without* cholesterol medication!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

OK, need some ideas.

Hubby has taken second job in the evenings, so he will be leaving here at 7:30 am and getting home around 11. I need to send food with him, but we don't have a thermos for hot stuff and really can't afford to buy one now (hence the second job and honestly, spending $10-15 on a thermos is really out of our budget). I am trying to figure out what besides sandwiches (and he is NOT going to eat salad) I can send with him for lunches and dinners).

The ONE thing I thought of that might work and still feed us here at night (son-in-law works until 10 pm and he eats dinner when he gets home) is doing a pork roast in the microwave and shredding it for BBQ sandiwches.

So my daughter and I are going to be the only ones home in the evenings.

I am at a complete loss as to how to feed everyone without becoming a short order cook, making different things. I want to take the opportunity for the next few weeks to go back to eating lower calorie and healthier, but again, if I do that, I will be making that for me and daughter and still need to feed son-in-law and husband. Husband will not have access to a microwave.

HELP!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread