+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4152414;
    Shay, I was grown before I ate it. I have never been a good breakfast eater. I don't really like eggs unless they are hardboiled and I have a difficult time eating them in the morning. I don't like syrup, so french toast, pancakes and waffles were not something I ate either until much later in life. Now I eat them, but without syrup.

French toast is really good made with some Christmas egg nog.
    Eggnog French Toast is a tradition in this house on Christmas morning.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4152483;
    You know, I think it's strange because I adore breakfast, but I'm not big on sweet breakfasts.

I hate egg nog! Found an egg yolk in the bottom of my glass when I was young, and haven't touched it since. Actually got physically ill; you now how just seeing something can set you off. I love boiled custard, though. It tastes like melted ice cream to me!
    French toast is only sweet if you put sugar in it or on it.

My husband who LOVES french toast, doesn't like it sweet, so he makes it with just eggs and milk.

If I make it, I add a little vanilla to the egg and milk mixture.

Using egg nog does make it sweet, but it doesn't make it taste like egg nog. It just makes some darn good french toast.

I typically do NOT order french toast in restaurants as they insist on making it as sweet as possible. The only exception to that was in Cracker Barrel in the fall when they had a fall cinnamon french toast that looked wonderful. And yes, it was good, but it was sweet and swimming in butter. Was served with 3 slices of toast and I barely could eat 1/2 of one slice.

But if I'm going to eat egg and toast, I want egg in a basket (slice of bread, hole in the middle, egg cracked into hole and the hole thing cooked in a skillet, flipped and cooked on both sides.)
    Last edited by MRD; 01-19-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Egg in a basket, huh? Interesting. Is the yellow runny?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Mine is because I like it that way, but you can cook the yolk hard if you want.

I spread a little butter on both sides of the bread, use a large glass to cut out the whole, put the bread (and the cut out piece) in a frying pan that I sprayed with Pam, crack the egg in it. Cook it on one side, flip it over and cook on the other. Serve with the now toasted hole you cut out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm all about the runny yellow!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love eggs with firm whites and liquid yolks. Not runny or gelatinous - just still in a viscous liquid state.

My favorite is poached. Second favorite, a 6-minute soft boiled egg. Both with buttered toast for yolk dipping!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4154464;
    I love eggs with firm whites and liquid yolks. Not runny or gelatinous - just still in a viscous liquid state.

My favorite is poached. Second favorite, a 6-minute soft boiled egg. Both with buttered toast for yolk dipping!
    This is how I like my eggs. I like to put it on top of a piece of toast and eat it that way.

Eggs in a basket! That's what my parents called it, but out here it's called "toad in a hole." Why? I don't know. I get the "hole" part, but I don't get the "toad" part. The egg is from a chicken, and it looks nothing like a toad. Nor even remotely like a frog.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I've heard Toad in a hole and wondered the same thing. I like eggs in a basket as it sounds more appetizing that toad.

I am all about the runny yolk as well for toast dipping.

we call it egg in a hole. Basic, descriptive, and not creative at all....but very yummy and quick.
    Don't let the small things sweat

+ Reply to Thread