+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

For a quick fix, I pop chicken thighs into a Dutch oven with carrots, onions, red potatoes, white wine, garlic and some Rosemary (and salt and pepper). It's easy and it makes the house smell great!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Chicken in gravy in the crockpot. Easy and quick and I didn't have to go to the store. We only have (I am ashamed to admit this) fresh carrots in the house. I do have a nice selection of frozen veggies though and we will have one of them tonight. I am still on the "use what's in the house" kick before I buy anything else with the exception of bread, milk and eggs.

Once I use up what's here, then we are embarking on a healthier way of eating. But I can't afford to throw out what's here now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4147394;
    That's the way I grew up eating it.
    Me too. These days i make sometimes make corn bread with it, but when I was growing up, it was always crackers. I think I wa probably near 30 before I heard of cornbread with chili We had cornbread with a whole lot of things, though. MRD, I always make extra to eat with milk--I use a bowl, not a glass. And no buttermilk, I do it with sweet milk. Now, how many of you know what sweet milk is (DONT say what it is until we find out, Unk or MRD!)

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4147909;
    With dried beans or Chilli, I like to make cornbread and use, cornmeal mix, egg, sour cream, creamed corn, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers.
    Mmmm, Mexican cornbread. I add a jar of pimentos to give it some color. I also like it with one can creamed and one can regular corn if I am making a whoile bunch.
    Last edited by queenb; 01-15-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As much as I detest milk, I think sweet milk is the same as whole milk. And, in my opinion and tastebuds, there is nothing sweet about that vile liquid! I still don't understand people who like the taste! I fear one of us is missing a gene!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, I think it's a taste you either acquire as a kid, or you don't.
    When I was a kid, I always loved milk and we always had whole milk back then.
    As an adult, I only drink skim - fat free. I love it, too.
    But, my older sister always detested milk.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I did not drink milk as a baby, as soon as I came off the bottle. I use milk, but I won't/can't drink it, so I'm not lactose-intolerant. Can't hardly stand to look at it, and I really can't tolerate watching anyone drink it. My son won't have anything to do with it, either. My older sister seemed to love it. I don't even get how people love it with sweets....but I'm not a big sweets-lover, either
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I don't drink milk very often anymore, but I used to love a cold glass of milk with breakfast or with a piece of cake.

The only way my parents got me to drink milk after the bottle was to put coffee in it. It had to be in a coffee cup too. Apparantly I wanted what they had. So it started out as milk with a couple spoonfuls of coffee in it. By the time I was 5, I was drinking about half milk, half coffee. I think that the reason I drink very creamy coffee and very sweet (but use artificial sweetner now) is because that's how I drank it as a kid and that's how my parents got milk into me. Later, I came to love milk. But I do have a bit of a problem with it now, so that's why I don't drink it often. And we only buy skim milk now. But I use rice milk in cereal and only really use the skim to cook with. I use half and half in my coffee.

Has anyone had a pizza from a restaurant called Naked Pizza? They don’t have any artificial additives or preservatives in their pizzas. It's got my curiosity up.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4148797;
    For a quick fix, I pop chicken thighs into a Dutch oven with carrots, onions, red potatoes, white wine, garlic and some Rosemary (and salt and pepper). It's easy and it makes the house smell great!
    Going to make this later in the week as we bought a bunch of chicken thighs on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4148860;
    Chicken in gravy in the crockpot. Easy and quick and I didn't have to go to the store. We only have (I am ashamed to admit this) fresh carrots in the house. I do have a nice selection of frozen veggies though and we will have one of them tonight. I am still on the "use what's in the house" kick before I buy anything else with the exception of bread, milk and eggs.

Once I use up what's here, then we are embarking on a healthier way of eating. But I can't afford to throw out what's here now.
    I imagine you have plenty of bread, milk and eggs though, with all the snow you've had lately.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread