+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree499Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4147394;
    That's the way I grew up eating it.
    Me too, at least with canned chili. Saltines and shredded cheese. With homemade chili we always had corn bread.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4147394;
    That's the way I grew up eating it.

We had rice 5 times a week and cornbread about as many times. My mother LOVED rice and my dad LOVED cornbread. In fact, we were more of a rice family than a potato one.

So maybe it was just my family.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Canned chili??? You've got to be kidding me!! Sacriledge!!!

I also grew up eating it with saltines. I know guys who eat it with peanut butter on saltines. Never could make myself try that. The jar of peanut butter was just a part of the table setting when chili was being served. High "eewwww-factor" for me with that one!

As filling as chili is, on its own, I can't imagine adding more bulk with cornbread, but I would try it if I was around it.

Cornbread usually found its way when white beans...actually, any dry beans...were the meal. Cornbread, for me, can be a meal in itself. My brother-in-law likes it crumbled into his beans.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I like to crumble mine in my chili or beans.

It was GOOD stuff. And I intend to have another small piece before bed tonight.

The peanut butter thing sounds gross.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I like my beans with saltines, too. And with chopped up dill pickle. That sounded gross, until I tried it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4147198;
    I LOVE corn bread! My family eats it with chili, soup and anything else we can think of. Unfortunately, since I live alone, I don't have it much any more. I'd end up eating all of it much too quickly!
    Cook your cornbread in a cast iron muffin tin, eat some and then freeze the rest. It would be great with your dried beans. To warm it, I wrap it in foil and heat in the oven or toaster oven. The muffins are good sliced open and toasted.

With dried beans or Chilli, I like to make cornbread and use, cornmeal mix, egg, sour cream, creamed corn, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 01-14-2011 at 12:28 PM.

MRD

I have been known to slice my cornbread and freeze the leftover wedges is there is any. Then reheat like inthegarden said.

If I don't use it for eating like that, then it just stays in the freezer until I'm ready to make stuffing.

MRD

What to do with chicken thighs tonight?

I have cooked SO much this week and now am at a complete loss. I actually am feeling sick of food and would be more than happy to just eat steamed veggies, but the rest of the family still believe that they have to have meat.

How about baking them with a bunch of veggies.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

How about chicken cacciatore? You can find recipes on all recipes dot com but I just throw in a bunch of sliced onions, some garlic powder, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and some peeled white potatoes with some sliced bell pepper.

+ Reply to Thread