+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I make the salad like ING does but use avocados instead of the fruit and I like a raspberry vinagrette. I love nuts in my salad and will use sunflower seeds a lot.

I don't even watch Paula Deen anymore because I can't eat anything she makes. Most of it looks delicious but....

I found a recipe in our local paper the other day for Candied Bacon. You take a pound of bacon, mix it with a cup of brown sugar, spread on a pan and bake until brown. Since both too much fat and too much sugar makes me sick, I can't even imagine what this dish would do to me!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I remember putting maple syrup on bacon or sausage when they were served with pancakes in my younger days and thinking it was really delicious, but I'm smarter now.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4143170;
    I remember putting maple syrup on bacon or sausage when they were served with pancakes in my younger days and thinking it was really delicious, but I'm smarter now.
    I *still* love bacon in the syrup runoff from my pancakes. I figure since we only have pancakes a few times a year, doing that every once in awhile won't kill me. I'm somewhat particular about my bacon preparation, so...

MRD

There is a restaurant here that does "Praline Bacon". It is candied with brown sugar and chopped pecans. It is TO DIE FOR. But, I can't eat much of it either or often. My husband who thinks bacon was handed down from heaven, thought he WAS in heaven eating that bacon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Chili and cornbread tonight.

What is it about snow that makes you eat and eat and eat? 3 days of this and we have been through 2 lbs of bacon, 2 dozen eggs, 2 loaves of bread, a roast chicken, stuffing and potatos, chicken and dumplings, 2 pans of brownies and a red velvet cake, sandwiches, cheese and crackers and an entire small jar of peanut butter.

Kids are STILL out of school, but husband went to work today finally. I feel like a hibernating bear as we have done nothing but eat and sleep. Got to have this snow melt, or I'm going to LOOK like a bear.

But honestly, there are only so many hours of tv, reading and games you can take and cooking is actually getting up and moving around.

But I swear, after tonight and the leftovers are gone, we are all going to eat yogurt and salad.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never had chili with cornbread. It never even occurred to me but, then again, I'm not a "breaddie", either.

When I was in college, there was this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that always had a lunch/dinner line that stretched out the door and across the parking lot. The food was home-cooking, and to die for! Seconds were free! They always served this fried cornbread straight off the griddle (that looks like pancakes) that I could never get enough of. You could have as much of that as you wanted, too. It was a great place for college students; every meal cost between $2-$3. I've not had any of that kind of cornbread since I left college. Happy memories.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4147031;
    They always served this fried cornbread straight off the griddle (that looks like pancakes) that I could never get enough of. .
    Those are hoecakes.

Hoecakes Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

We have some type of Cornbread every night, pan, muffin, hot water, sticks or hoecakes.
    I'm not sure what that says about us... (southern country to the bone) .

When we have BBQ, I serve it between hoecakes, like a sandwich.
    Hoecakes are yummy with melted butter and warm Sorgum/ Molasses poured over top.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4147046;
    We have some type of Cornbread every night, pan, muffin, hot water, sticks or hoecakes.
    I'm not sure what that says about us... (southern country to the bone) .

When we have BBQ, I serve it between hoecakes, like a sandwich.
    Hoecakes are yummy with melted butter and warm Sorgum/ Molasses poured over top.
    It says you have good taste.

I dearly love cornbread and like to crumble it on my chili.

But I have never been able to crumble it in a glass and pour buttermilk over it. Now that is the hard core, old timer, corn bread lover.

The BBQ on hoe cakes sounds divine.

Oh and I do NOT like stuffing made with bread, please give me cornbread stuffing every time.

+ Reply to Thread