+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

We're having prime rib, roasted duck, bok choy, and some kind of potatoes (maybe). (I usually make Yorkshire pudding but never made the batter today...).

May everyone have a lovely holiday, however you celebrate :-)

We start off with 2 breakfast casseroles : one is a french toast type with maple syrup and cream cheese baked in, the other is a typical egg, turkey sausage (instead of bacon: why do I even try? ), cheese, bread, eggs etc. Am cooking turkey, stuffing, wild rice (husband's childhood xmas dish), oven baked mashed potatoes (kid favourite), roasted brussel sprouts (my mom's favourite), guests bringing a veggie dish, and for dessert we have nanaimo bars, 2 kinds of shortbread, another chocolate type of bar, fudge, and butter tarts.

I may break out champagne and OJ for breakfast/brunch

I hope everyone has a great day and lots of time with family and friends!

Last night we had my "traditional" (my twist on it, anyway) Polish wigilia dinner: opłatki ceremony, followed by pierogi, lean kielbasa (which my husband grilled outside because the weather was so nice), lightly sautéed cabbage with caraway. I set the table with "straw" (makeshift from slivers of yellow paper, because I didn't have any straw) under the plates, and, of course, an extra place setting at the table.

Tonight, Mr. Ellen is in charge of the menu:duck breast (with Moroccan/Middle Eastern spices), wild rice, golden beets, rum-orange cranberries, fig bread, and I forget what else.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

One more eating weekend to get through. I am so sick of food right now and we only did about half of the holiday eating we normally do.

Black eyed peas, collards, cornbread and some kind of meat on Sat. Usually have ham or fried chicken, but this year am sick of ham and don't want to stand at the stove for 2 hours frying chicken. My family will be disappointed as I only make fried chicken once a year, usually on New Year's Day. My grandmother's recipe is also labor intensive. I can't believe the woman did this once a week. Once a year is bad enough.
    She soaked the chicken in buttermilk overnight. Then breaded it first thing in the morning and put it in the fridge, then rebreaded it at night right before going in the skillet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That sounds like a lot of work, but I bet it was delicious.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I have made the crockpot lasagne countless times after seeing it in the crockpot thread. Its simply a fantastic recipe. I think I'll be making that for New Years day while we watch the NHL Winter Classic!

I'm going out for New Years Eve with three other g/friends. We are going for Thai food. I too am sick of eating! So from now until then, its light eating. Its freezing cold out, so I haven't been going for my usual 30 min walks, twice a day. It doesn't take long to start feeling like the good year blimp!!

I have been buying the spring mix and baby lettuce and romain.
    Making a salad using the lettuce, chopped celery, carrots, Clementine oranges, dried cranberries and walnuts.
    Small amount of mustard and honey for dressing.
    Best salad ever.

Oh my gosh inthegarden! That sounds fabulous! I'm buying all those ingrediants tomorrow! I buy the spring mix when its on sale, its so expensive if its not on sale, but I love it.

They sell a really good baby greens mix at CostCo and Sam's Club and it's pretty cheap. I think it's around $5 for a huge tub of it. I get that and some other veggies and one of the roasted chickens and I'm good to go for the week!

ITG - I love putting dried fruit and nuts in salads! My favorite is walnuts and dried tart cherries. Throw in a little goat cheese and a nice dressing and I'm good to go!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not to be outdone by Rachel Ray and her recipe for microwaved bacon, here's Paula Deen's recipe for "English Peas" (i.e. peas cooked in butter)
    There are literally TWO ingredients: canned peas and butter. You melt the butter and then heat the peas in it. The End. The comments are hilarious and you don't need to register to view them: English Peas Recipe : Review : Paula Deen : Food Network
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread