+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4131781;
    So, what do you put on chocolate pasta? I'd probably make a sauce out of Hersey syrup.
    One time when I made chocolate chip pancakes, my son put Hershey's syrup on them.

eta: Sorry, I've never had goose before, but I seem to recall my mom saying that they were greasy. Personally, I'd just take a little of everything the first go round and then get more of what I liked.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4131806;
    The hostess on Christmas is making a goose.

I seem to remember my grandmother making one many years ago. I seem to remember that it tasted gamey.

Has anybody had goose? Can they describe what it's similar to? Do I need to fill up on the side dishes?

TIA
    It does taste gamier than turkey or chicken! There's no white meat on a goose, and the dark meat tastes much richer than the turkey's. My grandmother was German and she cooked one every Christmas. I remember being astonished at the amount of fat she had to keep draining out of the roasting pan. She used the fat to fry whole potatoes and fritters, and they were to die for.

It tasted saltier to me, too. She cooked hers with apples, cloves, and plums.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I've never liked goose myself. Too greasy. My father in law always had to have a goose for Christmas, but he was the only one who would eat it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I used to make a goose every Christmas because it was my ex's family tradition... very greasy. Allow for the grease to drip somewhere and stuff with rice rather than bread (bread will just get gummy) if you stuff it at all.

The chocolate is really just for color. She made striped bow ties and dried it, then cooked it to see how long to put on the instructions (she's giving it as presents). It isn't sweet. The cocoa is mostly for color, but I bet if the sauce had a chili component it would be really good - cocoa and chili are complementary flavors. My daughter is suggesting it be served with a creamy sauce like alfredo. The stripes in the bow ties are made by more and less amounts of cocoa in the two batches of dough. They're put through the pasta roller machine, cut into strips, wet the sides to stick them together alternately, then put them through the roller a few more times to fuse them completely.Cut in strips in whatever configuration you want.
    Count your blessings!

My dad used to hunt Canada goose; they had a distinctive flavor that went so well with wild rice and a bold red wine! (The wild-caught ones are probably not as greasy as the commercial ones; some were oilier than others.) Now I have a hankerin' for one of Dad's Canada goose meals...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I woke up this morning to pink bows (pasta) on every flat kitchen surface. Beets for coloring. Today I'm helping form the red (tomato paste) and green (spinach) pasta for presents.
    Count your blessings!

^Love this idea, and the color combo! (Can just picture it all in cute Christmas packaging. Now have an intense desire to make colored pasta.) Sounds like a great way to spend part of your day. Have fun, Guttmutter!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4131806;
    The hostess on Christmas is making a goose.

I seem to remember my grandmother making one many years ago. I seem to remember that it tasted gamey.

Has anybody had goose? Can they describe what it's similar to? Do I need to fill up on the side dishes?

TIA
    They are quite greasy and all dark meat. The flavor is a tad strong. But I wouldn't call it gamey. To me gamey is wild pig, now THAT is gamey.

People used to save goose grease because there is so much of it and use it in homemade medicinal salves and ointments. Interesting that I was just reading a book that included that bit of old trivia.

ETA: As a big fan of the movie A Christmas Story. I have to ask if you are all goign to sing "fra-ra-ra-ra-ra, ra-ra-ra-ra" while eating the goose?
    Last edited by MRD; 12-24-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks to all for the goose comments.
    I hope the hostess makes it good. I remember it being pretty greasy back in the day....
    MRD,

I forgot about the Fraaaaaraaaaaaa.
    Thanks for bringing up a pleasant memory.

I have to do pork roast for Christmas eve. I hope it comes out well.

Merry Christmas to all and many
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

We're having a rib roast, mashed potatos, yeast rolls and asparagus tomorrow. And pumpkin bread and chocolate cake. Hey! It's Christmas!

Got a late start, but now have peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin bread is ready to go in the oven.

Then we will do our snackies and watch a movie shortly.

Right now am waiting for husband and son in law to clean up the kitchen for me to start round two!

Merry Christmas all and hope you all have yummy dinners tonight and tomorrow.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread