+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

According to their web site, they are opening 200 more spots this year.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Frittatas are a popular Italian dish, and I've had my share of it growing up. I still make it quite often. The main ingredient is eggs, usually a dozen eggs, beaten thoroughly.

The proper way of making a frittata is in a skillet, saute any kind of vegtable, and or meat, sausage bacon etc. The fall is when we ate frittatas the most as everything from the garden went into a frittata. Once sauted to golden brown, add the eggs. Continue cooking on low heat, for a few minutes until the sides start to set. Top with grated cheese and put it in the oven for approx 30 -45 minutes.

I usually saute my meat vegtables or whatever I feel like, and transfer to either a round deep dish pizza pan, sliced into pie shapes, or a square 9 x 11 pan cut into squares. Add the beaten eggs, and top with lots of grated cheese. I bake the whole thing for approx 45 minutes. The beauty of a frittata is you just use your imagination and use whatever ingredients you like, whatever spices, you can add chopped onions, bacon bits, black olives for a greek frittata, the list is endless.

My favourite is zuchinni, mushrooms, asiago cheese, mozzarella cheese. Serve it with a side salad, or roasted potatoes. There are lots of leftovers for easy quick dinners or lunches. You can made sandwiches also.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

STOP IT!!! You're killing me!!! Sounds too delicious!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Guardian,

What temperature do you bake it at?

Also, when you add the eggs in, I assume they're scrambled first and then, once in the pan, you move them around??
    Or do, you just leave the eggs in there with the filling until the edges set and you can transfer it to the oven??

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

I make my fritattas in a cast iron skillet then can just put the skillet in the oven without transferring anything to another pan. Any leftovers, I cut into wedges, wrap i plastic wrap and freeze. They freeze and warm up well.

I put fresh spinach and basil in mine as well as fresh mushrooms, tomatos or just about anything I have in the kitchen in them. I've also just made them with spinch and feta cheese.

It's one of those recipes you can't go wrong.

I break all the eggs in a bowl add a bit of milk and whisk. Then pour over veggies and scramble it around until I start to see more solid egg pieces. I then transfer it to the oven while it's still "soupy", but also partly solid.

I bake mine at 350 for 20 min. or so until it's set and not liquidy anymore. It depends on the size how long I bake it. If I use a smaller skillet and fewer eggs, it doesn't take as long.

I also mix my cheese up in the egg mixture and then put some on top near the end of the baking time.

But it's a dish that you can do anything to or with as Guardian said.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-08-2010 at 07:09 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks, MRD.

I don't use cast iron. Would a regular pan melt or get damaged in the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4056789;
    Thanks, MRD.

I don't use cast iron. Would a regular pan melt or get damaged in the oven?
    They shouldn't. I make fritattas and I have Calphlon cookware. I have a special fritatta pan in my set, but I've roasted meat in my big soup/sauce type pans as well in the oven. Just as long as your pans don't have plastic handles and are oven safe you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4056801;
    They shouldn't. I make fritattas and I have Calphlon cookware. I have a special fritatta pan in my set, but I've roasted meat in my big soup/sauce type pans as well in the oven. Just as long as your pans don't have plastic handles and are oven safe you should be good to go.
    Thanks. It's a T-fal pan, so hopefully it's OK.

Thanks. It's a T-fal pan, so hopefully it's OK.
    According to the T-FAL USA website FAQs, their cookware is oven-proof up to 350F for up to 1 hour, unless they have plastic handles or knobs.

If you still have the instruction guide, it would tell you.

(Most of my non-cast iron pans are oven-safe for the same requirements.)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4057022;
    According to the T-FAL USA website FAQs, their cookware is oven-proof up to 350F for up to 1 hour, unless they have plastic handles or knobs.

If you still have the instruction guide, it would tell you.

(Most of my non-cast iron pans are oven-safe for the same requirements.)
    THanks, Triple.
    I looked at the site. Good to know.

+ Reply to Thread