+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

MRD,

It's literally ground, shredded or minced beef.

Sounds like you're not necessarily wanting to do a Mexican type dish, but it does work well in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. That's what it's primarily used in.

I like the recipe idea that Nennie has posted. It's a meat that would take well to stewing in a crockpot with lots of ingredients.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just discovered Goya coconut water in the international food aisle. It has little chunks of young coconut in it which really amuses me for some reason.
    Count your blessings!

Does anyone ever cook sweet potatoes on the grill? I often take regular potatoes and cut them up and wrap them in a foil packet on the grill and I'm just wondering if anyone does something similar with sweet potatoes. I really like them, but it's too warm to get the oven going just to bake them or make sweet potato fries. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3970403;
    Does anyone ever cook sweet potatoes on the grill? I often take regular potatoes and cut them up and wrap them in a foil packet on the grill and I'm just wondering if anyone does something similar with sweet potatoes. I really like them, but it's too warm to get the oven going just to bake them or make sweet potato fries. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!
    I put a lot of things either on the stovetop or in the microwave first before I grill them.
    I'd do the same with the sweet potatoes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3970403;
    I've never grilled sweet potatoes, but was intrigued, so googled "grilled sweet potatoes". I found three basic methods:

cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled directly on the grate

cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled in a foil packet

precook until tender (boiled or microwaved), cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled directly on the grate very briefly

I'd be tempted to try the first option as it is less work. Let us know if you try them, Yardgnome.

Oooh, I kept looking and this one looks really yummy but I think I'd use brown sugar instead of white.
    Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Apples Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3970503;
    I've never grilled sweet potatoes, but was intrigued, so googled "grilled sweet potatoes". I found three basic methods:

cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled directly on the grate

cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled in a foil packet

precook until tender (boiled or microwaved), cut into spears, brushed with oil and seasoned, and grilled directly on the grate very briefly

I'd be tempted to try the first option as it is less work. Let us know if you try them, Yardgnome.

Oooh, I kept looking and this one looks really yummy but I think I'd use brown sugar instead of white.
    Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Apples Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Yeah, I keep thinking of just trying to do them like a regular potato in a foil packet. I'll probably do the spears though, because I think the inside pieces without skin would get mushy. If I try them this week, I'll let everyone know.

MRD

My daughter found Baconaisse. Bacon mayonnaise. My husband is thrilled. His next tomato sandwich is going to be made with baconaisse. I can't even imagine. Not sure I want to even try it. Anyone else even heard of it?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've never heard of that mrd. What will they think of next!

I've heard of it, but I'm a little skittish. It sounds like it would taste a bit artificial. The image of Baco's and mayo keeps coming up..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is with letting your imagination take off with you?? At Least Try It!!! After that, you can condemn it! You could be pleasantly surprised. A try only requires a smidgen of a taste!

(Do you get the impression that you've hit on one of my pet peeves?? )
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread