+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3953714;
    On a different topic, has anyone noticed that organic produce seems to spoil a lot more quickly than regular produce? Or is it my imagination? I bought some strawberries last Tuesday and they were so yummy, but by Thursday they had shriveled up,
    No, it's not your imagination. Non-organic produce has additives to make the food last longer. Years ago people would make daily trips to the market for fruits and veggies, now we often only go once or twice a week, so we expect produce to last longer. Unfortunately the methods of production and distribution of the food has changed to meet our lifestyles.

I don't like anti-bacterial cleansers myself, though they're a necessary evil in my workplace (hospital). In my area, it's just not possible to wash our hands every single time we touch a patient so we must use the cleansers. In the winter our hands are absolutely raw with the combination of the cold weather and the high alcohol content of the hand cleansers. I have a small bottle in my truck for emergency cleanups, but we don't use them at home.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3953714;
    ...has anyone noticed that organic produce seems to spoil a lot more quickly than regular produce? Or is it my imagination? I bought some strawberries last Tuesday and they were so yummy, but by Thursday they had shriveled up...
    I've never had that problem with local organic produce (which I usually buy). But I have had that problem with organic produce from far away. As a result, I buy organic AND local.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I find that the organic produce I buy at the farmers market lasts just as long or longer than the regular produce from the grocery store. I stay away from the organic stuff at the store because it goes bad so quickly.

I buy a ton of salad greens every Sunday and they last me all week and still look great on Saturday, when I'm usually finishing them off.

brunette trixie - I don't know if this helps, but I read years ago that the way to make strawberries last longer (if you don't cut them up immediately) is to NOT wash them and store them in the fridge in a colander. This is how I always store my strawberries now and it can sometimes buy you another day or two (or three!) before they go bad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I can get strawberries to last for about a week and a half when I buy them fresh. My old secretary owned a farm market and she told me to keep the strawberries in the little containers and then keep them covered (I usually keep a small brown bag or plastic bag around them) in the refrigerator. They usually last for a while for me this way. You will always have one or two that mold up, but this seems to make them last for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3956037;
    I can get strawberries to last for about a week and a half when I buy them fresh. My old secretary owned a farm market and she told me to keep the strawberries in the little containers and then keep them covered (I usually keep a small brown bag or plastic bag around them) in the refrigerator. They usually last for a while for me this way. You will always have one or two that mold up, but this seems to make them last for a while.
    I don't know if you've noticed any correlation between what sort of bag you are using and the occasional bit of mold, but I would wager that the ones that mold are covered in plastic. We keep most of our vegetables (root vegetables excepted) in paper bags because plastic traps moisture and causes the mold. If you are a watcher of crime shows, you will notice that they now bag their evidence in paper rather than plastic because trapped moisture is destructive.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Once again, here comes another "Am I the last one to know....?" I just learned that you should keep lemons and limes (probably oranges, too), not in the refrigerator, but on the counter or table. They will give you more juice if kept that way. Hmmmm.................
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, if you keep them in the refrigerator you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to get the juices flowing in them. I keep mine in the refrigerator because they seem to last longer.

MRD

And roll them on the counter, gently pressing them as you roll, several times, also loosens up the juice. (before cutting of course. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I got a really good deal on this beef labled Carne Picada. Now I have no clue what to do with it. I was thinking I could use it for stew meat, but when I looked it up on the internet there were some recipes for cooking it that sounded intriguing, but not really in a mood for mexican food or spicy food.

So you guys ever used this before? Any ideas. It's like little, tiny, tiny stew meat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3960013;
    I got a really good deal on this beef labled Carne Picada. Now I have no clue what to do with it. I was thinking I could use it for stew meat, but when I looked it up on the internet there were some recipes for cooking it that sounded intriguing, but not really in a mood for mexican food or spicy food.

So you guys ever used this before? Any ideas. It's like little, tiny, tiny stew meat.
    Maybe you could cook it like you would stew meat i some beef broth, onions and garlic with salt and pepper and when tender add broth and meat to some cooked egg noodles and have beef tips and noodles.

You could always put the meat and stewed tomatoes and seasoning in crock pot and add celery peppers and onion and cook till tender and pour over rice.

+ Reply to Thread