+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I've never washed out my bags either...

Incidentally, speaking of reusable bags, I've been out at my parents' a bunch lately, and today I went to the Stop and Shop in the neighboring town... it was so jarring to see plastic bags EVERYWHERE at the checkout counters! My hometown banned plastic shopping bags a couple years ago, so I'm used to seeing paper bags at the registers now. I also noticed that at the store in my town, they have many more displays of their reusable bags for purchase than does the store I went to tonight. And of course, a lot more people in my town USE the bags...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3953025;
    There are so many ways to get ill from food/food preparation/food storage. It's a wonder we all aren't sick all the time!

I've washed my canvas bags a few times, but I never thought about bacteria living in them. Oh well, live and learn.
    And think about before refrigeration. People didn't get sick all that much. They seemed to have hardier stomachs. I have heard my grandparents talk about frying a chicken and taking it on the train and eating it the next day and it was not refrigerated that entire time.

And I have to say that I thaw meat in the sink in water or on the counter all the time and you are NOT supposed to do that. And I stuff turkeys and chicken with stuffing. Not supposed to do that either. Or eat raw cookie dough. But have to say I haven't gotten sick yet. (probably just jinxed myself)

Critical, not just your opinion, it's true. The rise of anti-bacterials is actually making people sicker. If you are exposed to bacteria, you immune system is actually stronger than if you disinfect everything. I still wash my hands a lot. Especially at school. But we don't use anti-bacterial products either.
    I saw something VERY interesting at a summer camp program I once worked in. We had a group of underpriveleged kids come on a grant. These kids were a lot hardier health wise than the middle and upper middle class kids we'd had the week before. And I think it was because the underpriveleged kids probably don't have a lot of anti-bacterial products in the home. Most of them were on a free lunch program. I'm just guessing here, but that was my opinion that they were exposed to more than the kids from homes where cleaning products weren't a luxury item or a hardship for the parents to buy. The other thing I noticed was that the middle class kids all came with a list of food allergies. Not a single kid on the grant program had a food allergy.

And I have friends that absolutely bleach everything, use anti-bacterial products. The house is as sterile as an operating room. They are ALWAYS sick. ALWAYS. You need a little dirt to stay healthy.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-28-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3943266;
    I going to try grilling eggplant. And I read somewhere you have to eat a food like 16 times or something before you start to like it. I've never liked fish but we started eating it twice a week and now I'm starting to like it. hmmm fish tacos I'll have to try those next..

And actually being hungry can make anything taste pretty darn good. lol
    I think you're right. I think eggplant is something you acquire a taste for, slowly. I always slice mine, dip the slices in egg, then dust with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and bake them (healthier than frying). I cover them in spaghetti sauce and mozzarella.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

One of the things about the reusable totes is that you could be getting nasties on boxes, cans, plastic bags (like bread bags), and not even thinking about it. I am not big on disinfecting everything, although I have talked about wiping down my grocery carts/baskets, but that even makes me go "hmmmm....":hmm E. coli is nothing to take lightly. Think of it sitting on your shelves and in your cabinets. Eeeeeeewwwwww! I do believe in washing my hands for a reason, I guess. Luckily, I am blessed with decent health.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

E. Coli can only live on surfaces for a few hours. So if the stuff in your cabinet has been there longer than a day, it's probably safe.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3953366;
    And think about before refrigeration. People didn't get sick all that much. They seemed to have hardier stomachs. I have heard my grandparents talk about frying a chicken and taking it on the train and eating it the next day and it was not refrigerated that entire time.
    But I bet that chicken was raised a whole lot differently than poultry is today. Industrial farming has contributed greatly to the outbreak of many sicknesses in my opinion. I remember when I was a kid (I'm 39 now) we would eat Easter eggs that had been sitting in our Easter baskets for days even weeks, and no one would get sick. I would never try that now. lol.

I do agree that you need some dirt/bacteria in your life. I've never used those hand sanitizing products, and I just get sick the regular number of times each year.

On a different topic, has anyone noticed that organic produce seems to spoil a lot more quickly than regular produce? Or is it my imagination? I bought some strawberries last Tuesday and they were so yummy, but by Thursday they had shriveled up,

On a different topic

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My mom was a resident alien - Irish - and we have been to Ireland many, many times in our lives (I am now 60). There is no.... repeat NO.... refrigeration in the homes of the village she grew up in.

Stews and soups routinely sit on the stove for days on the lowest of heat, or the radiant heat left after a fire. They are eaten daily and no one gets sick. They have spring houses for milk, cream, cheese, and eggs. Meats are smoked and left at room temperature. May I reiterate: no one gets sick.

They think we are overly fastidious when it comes to food storage. I haven't adopted their methods of food prep/storage, but I have to think they have a point.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I am not at all diligent about getting cooked food into the fridge ASAP as recommended by the bacteria police, and the only time I have ever had food poisoning was the one time some chicken was sealed into a plastic container and put in the fridge while it was still hot. I think it had to do with condensation from the hot chicken breeding bacteria while sealed up. At any rate, I always let my stuff cool down in an open container on the counter now, and sometimes I forget it and it stays out for hours, and even over night a couple of times - still don't get sick.

And as I've mentioned many, many times, I don't use anything other than water, vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide or one Nature Clean product (for soap scum and greasy buildup) to clean my house, and Mr. Rattus and I are way healthier than our germophobic friend who uses every P&G, J&J and Clorox product on the market to sanitize his home.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, I took microbiology in college and learned all about the bad temps for bacterial growth and it's much smarter to let the food cool a bit than to pop it in the fridge immediately. I generally leave things out for a little while and, if it's rice or something, I'll stir it a few times so there isn't any in the center that's still warm.

I've NEVER gotten food poisoning from anything I've prepared - only from restaurants - so I must be doing something right!

It's been over 100 for several days now and it's headed that direction today. I feel like I'll never want to eat hot food again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread