+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

  1. #2201
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,159

    Re: General Food Talk

    A friend I was shopping with at Trader Joe's recommended their Stilton cheese. I just had a small wedge of it with apple slices and O.M.G.!!! Wow. (This should probably go in the TJ thread, but since we're talking about cheese...). I love goat cheese. I love beets. I've had them in combination in a salad but never on a sandwich. Hmmm. Beet sandwich. I think I'll stick with salad.
    Count your blessings!

  2. #2202
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,192

    Re: General Food Talk

    There are multiple root veggies that I find distasteful. Unfortunately.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  3. #2203
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: General Food Talk

    I'm not fond of turnips, but I do like their greens. But I like all other root vegetables.

    Cold beets on a salad are delish. And I do love Harvard Beets.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #2204
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,406

    Re: General Food Talk

    A few years back, I had a fabulous appetizer with beets at a restaurant in NYC. It was sliced beets, layered with marscapone cheese and smoked salmon and then topped with fresh basil. Three years later, we still talk about how good it was!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  5. #2205
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3951817;
    A few years back, I had a fabulous appetizer with beets at a restaurant in NYC. It was sliced beets, layered with marscapone cheese and smoked salmon and then topped with fresh basil. Three years later, we still talk about how good it was!
    I'm drooling. Sounds DIVINE
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  6. #2206
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,159

    Re: General Food Talk

    I'm going to have to try that. My friend and I are alternating the cooking for our evening meals and I've done all my usual meals once now. I'm not usually much of a cook, but I'm going to have to get on the ball now. Neither one of us has done smoked salmon and that sounds delicious.
    Count your blessings!

  7. #2207
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3951549;
    There are multiple root veggies that I find distasteful. Unfortunately.
    Meee too. Almost all of them. I use potatoes as a vehicle for some condiment (sour cream, A1, mayo in potato salad), and I do like raw carrots. Turnips, rutabagas, yams, sweet potatoes, beets... no. I can choke most of them down, but by and large, I'm not a fan. I similarly dislike probably every single form of winter squash.

  8. #2208
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: General Food Talk

    For zucchini, one of my favourites, is zucchini loaves, which you can make and freeze.

    Goat cheese is heavenly. One of my favourite is pizza dough, drizzle a little olive oil, top with black olives, goat cheese and any grilled vegtable you might have left over from another meal. The last one I did was grilled eggplant. I first had this in Italy, brick oven baked, I could eat that everyday! Another one I had in Italy was grilled eggplant, grilled zucchini and grilled red pepper, yum!

    Can someone direct me to the cucumber dip? I'm not seeing it in this thread.

  9. #2209
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3952419;
    For zucchini, one of my favourites, is zucchini loaves, which you can make and freeze.

    Goat cheese is heavenly. One of my favourite is pizza dough, drizzle a little olive oil, top with black olives, goat cheese and any grilled vegtable you might have left over from another meal. The last one I did was grilled eggplant. I first had this in Italy, brick oven baked, I could eat that everyday! Another one I had in Italy was grilled eggplant, grilled zucchini and grilled red pepper, yum!

    Can someone direct me to the cucumber dip? I'm not seeing it in this thread.
    I believe it's in Just Recipes and is spread, not dip but you could use it as a dip
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  10. #2210
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,192

    Re: General Food Talk

    Am I the last one to know that we should wash the reusable grocery totes after we use them? There seems to be a bacteria problem...e. coli, for one...that is prevalent. Why doesn't it say that on the bags???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.